[rekonq] Re: Fancy-Bookmarking for reKonq- Ideas

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 11:27:42 CEST 2011

On 07/14/2011 09:35 PM, Phaneendra Hegde wrote:
> Hello everyone ,
>
> I'm a GSoCer and working on a nepomuk based project called
> Fancy-Bookmarking for Rekonq
> <http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/phaneendranh/13001>.
> Details and current state of my project can be found here
> <http://pnhblog.tumblr.com> and source code can be found here
> <http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=rekonq.git&a=commit&h=dff11095a14806da1742887cb8d9749e55107e13>
>
> Main feature of this bookmarking tool is to provide
> rating,tagging,commenting on a webpage. One more Important feature is
> to provide the facility to *relate the webpage* to different nepomuk
> resources (like pimo::person,project,task,location etc) . I have
> already pushed a working model to a branch (fancy-bookmarking) .
> I have a couple of questions here -
>
>   * Now I'd like to separate tagging,rating module from resource
>     linking module. So I'd like to open resource linking dialog in one
>     click/key stroke . Where can I add this button/link in the main
>     window of rekonq? Just like, how edit bookmark widget appears
>     whenever I click on bookmark icon,I would like to have a button
>      in the main window itself.
>   * Tagging,commenting and rating have been merged with existing
>     editbookmark widget. How can I improve it's GUI? What kind of UI
>     do you recommend for showing previously created tags?
>
> I have discussed this in #rekonq (freenode irc) and I'm asking all of
> your opinion in order to give best result. Feel free to mail me or
> contact me in #rekonq or #nepomuk-kde (IRC nick- pnh7)
> You can also give your suggestions in the techbase project page
> <http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Nepomuk/FancyBookmarking> . I
> welcome your comments and suggestions.
>
> Regards
> Phaneendra Hegde
> - PNH

Hi Phaneendra,
First of all, I'd get my compliments for your project, very detailed and
... in "growing state". It really seems you're having a nice GSoC
experience and this is the most important thing, after all. Isn't it?

So, let's start talk about your project. First, some "stupid" questions
to let me clarify things (sorry, I have just too much code to read
today. I'll probably find some time next week).
It seems to me that merging your project one day, rekonq will start
using nepomuk, right? (ok, this is too stupid...).
Does this mean we are going to NOT work without nepomuk? Or just that
our bookmark system wouldn't? Or, better (the aimed reply), that just
the "rating, tagging" part is not going to work if I don't have nepomuk
running here?
What about in term of compile/link deps?

About your first question: I don't like a lot to change our UI, because
I'd like it to be as minimal as possible. IMHO we can adopt two
different solutions here (or also the two together):
1) change our bookmark icon (the one in the urlbar) behavior to show
your widget on click.
2) add an action for rating, tagging to our actionCollection, so that it
will be optionally available to be added at the UI.
What do you think about?

About the second one: I need a bit of time to better check the new
EditBookmark Widget to comment a bit about.

Have fun,

WEB: http://rekonq.kde.org