[rekonq] Re: Rekonq's Firefox Solution for History Pulldown Menu Problem (Question)

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 17:40:46 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Furkan Üzümcü <furkanuzumcu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/17/2011 05:58 PM, Andrea Diamantini wrote:
>
> On Monday 17 January 2011 15:15:54 Furkan Üzümcü wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>
>> I've talked to adjam about this feature and he told me that the
>
>> Firefox solution would be better and he is right. The problem is when
>
>> right clicking on Back/Forward button the Toolbar Settings context menu
>
>> shows up instead of my history context menu. How can I prevent that from
>
>> happening? Please help, I need to get this done till the alpha release!
>
>> Thanks in advance!
>
> Why do you need to enable it with right click? I think left click is enough
> here.
>
> --
>
> Andrea Diamantini, adjam
>
> GPG Fingerprint: 57DE 8E32 7D1A 0E16 AA52 59D8 84F9 3ECD DBF9 730F
>
> rekonq project
>
> WEB: http://rekonq.kde.org
>
> IRC: rekonq at freenode

> What about the regular go back/forward action? Left clicking it, takes you
> to the previous/next history.

How would this be implemented, though?  As far as I can see there is
three ways to do this.  The way for konqueror, and I think firefox 3,
has a button with a triangular expander to the side.  The triangular
expander acts as its own, small button, so to activate the menu you
press the triangular expander.  For firefox 4, there is no expander,
you just press and hold to get the menu.  This is possible in KDE as
well, it just uses a smaller triangular expander embedded in the
button instead of off to the side.  It may also be possible to hide
the triangle entirely, but I don't like this because it gives no
indication that the dropdown menu exists, so I think the triangle is
necessary on at least one button.  I prefer the second method, since
it take less space, has a larger hit target, and accessing the menu is
probably uncommon enough that it should be its own button.

This leads to a second issue: where to have the triangle (if at all).
As I said, I think having it is important.  Having it on both buttons
seems redundant.  You could overload the buttons so only the forward
button has this, I guess, but that would only really work for a
standard button layout.  On the other hand, anyone who knows enough to
do non-standard button layouts should also know that the menu is
there.  It may be possible to make a single button that has both back
and forward in it, but this is probably too complicated, and limits
customization options for the toolbar.  Finally, it would be possible
to make a small button containing the triangular expander only, and
place that to the right of the forward button, and have that button
trigger the menu.  So in that scenario the menu wouldn't be in the
back and forward buttons at all, it would only look like it is (this
could be combined with the press-and-hold method).

Also, I thought it worthwhile to point out that the konqueror way of
doing things and the firefox way of doing things are not mutually
exclusive.  This may be more than you want to do, but it is possible
to have the standard buttons use the firefox method, but provide an
alternative set of back and forward buttons that behave like
konqueror.  Not a configuration option, just a second pair of
back/forward buttons in the toolbar config list that behave like
konqueror.  People could add those buttons and remove the existing
ones.  As I said, you may not think this is a good

-Todd