[rekonq] Re: [RFC] Better Integration of Web Applications into Window Management

Martin Gräßlin kde at martin-graesslin.com
Tue Jan 11 21:58:20 CET 2011

On Tuesday 11 January 2011 21:39:59 you wrote:
> I also like this idea, but how much work would this need in kwin's side?
More than in rekonq :-) But not as much as it might sound.

We would need a new Class representing such a pinned tab. Let's call it
ClientExtension. It would inherit from the TopLevel class and have a pointer
to the Client object representing rekonq. All the calls like which desktop,
etc. etc. would just forward to the parent (we have such a stub class for
example for closed windows during fade-out animations). The Client class in
turn would need a list of all the ClientExtensions. This could then be used by
the effects and Alt+Tab.

So when an effect or alt+tab activates such an extension we would go to the
client, activate that one and mark it to switch to the referrenced extension.

The rendering stack itself will hardly need any change. It does compositing
from an X Pixmap, whether this represents an X window or a pixmap passed by a
window does not really matter (same code, just different id ;-)

So it's really not that much to do and could even be done by someone not
familiar with kwin code with some guidance.