[rekonq] Data Sync Feature

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 07:47:26 UTC 2011

On 12/29/2011 03:45 AM, Chris Knight wrote:
> Is anyone currently working on the data sync feature? According to the
> roadmap wiki on TechBase it appears not. I would be more than happy to
> implement this feature as I have just uninstalled firefox forever from
> my box after it's bi-monthly update nonsense has broken my
> xmarks/lastpass data syncing for the last time. Rekonq is quick,
> light, and I love it, but it really needs data syncing.
>
> Regarding syncing, we would first have to decide where to store the
> bookmarks:
>
> *) Google Bookmarks.
>     - Wiki mentions there is no API but apparently the api is known
> and quite simple:
>     - http://www.mmartins.com/mmartins/googlebookmarksapi/
>
> *) WebDAV
>     - Xmarks/LastPass uses WebDAV apparently as well.
>     -
> http://blog.barfoo.org/2009/05/03/firefox-hosting-xmarks-formerly-foxmarks-on-lighttpd/
>
> *) Digg:
>     - Certainly a possibility:
>     - http://apidoc.digg.com/w/page/17759000/FrontPage
>
> *) Firefox Sync: Another possibility.
>     - Centered around sharing bookmarks with mobile devices.
>     - Uses WPS style pin generation from the "original device" to pair
> additional "devices".
>     - Several implementations of the server are available, allowing
> for self-hosting of the sync repository.
>     - https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox_Sync
>
> *) Git
>     - Another possibility would be to simply commit changes to an xml
> representation of the sync data to a git or svn repo.
>     - Allows self hosting
>
> *) KDE Perfection (Akonadi + Wallet)
>     - The pentultimate KDE perfection: Store Bookmarks in Akonadi,
> Store passwords in Wallet:
>     - If only there was a way to sync 2 KDE wallets???
>     - Akonadi already has the ability to load local bookmarks from a
> bookmarks.xml file. I could envision rekonq using the Akonadi
> bookmarks resources and adding a module to load and store Bookmarks in
> any number of the above storage solutions.

Hi Chris,
you'll be happy to know that sync manager has just been implemented and
merged in git master. It is actually a structure with a particular "sync
implementation", one of them you listed here and in the other mail,
informing it to sync on every history, bookmarks, passwords change.
About sync implementation, I have implemented just ftp sync for now. I
know it is probably the less obvious, but I needed an easy one to work
on (and let work) the whole sync manager code.
And now it seems working.
Adding support for one of the sync solution you suggested will be
fantastic and should be quite easy following ftp sync implementation
pattern.
I know there is another guy working on (or interested to) one of this.
I'm ccmailing him here to be sure he is not losing this topic.

Welcome aboard!
Andrea.

PS: please guys, if you'd like to work on rekonq, subscribe to our
mailing list and jump in our iRC channel sometimes