[rekonq] Urlbar improvements

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 12:24:03 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 14 April 2010 11:32:39 Johannes Zellner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can only give feedback on the current version in git.
> I like the overall behavior, with some remarks. (all entries I need are
> somewhere in the list ;-) )

It's surely welcome :)

> If I type: "heise" (http://heise.de is in history)
> then the first item in the list is: "gg:heise"
> which is ok, but it is not visually selected....anyway if I press enter
> rekonq searches for "heise", exactly what I want.
>
> The next entry is "http://heise" which makes no sense at all here.

the first 2 entries + non selection are somewhat connected. Let me explain with
an example: the word "ciao" and "localhost". I'll call with 3 numbers the
entries:
0. nithing selected -> KUrlFilter resolv the word
1. first entry
2. second entry

if you type "ciao", rekonq provides:
0. KUriFilter(ciao)
1. gg:ciao
2. http://ciao

you press ENTER, KUriFilter detects that "ciao" is not an host and search your
preferred engine for it. And you win, as you explained.
Just let me notice that 0. and 1. coincide here.

if you type "localhost", again rekonq provides:
0. KUriFilter(localhost)
1. gg:localhost
2. http://localhost

You press ENTER, KUriFilter detects that "localhost" is an host and let you
load http://localhost. You win again. If you wanna search google for
"localhost", just a down arrow more is needed. 0. and 1. don't coincide here.

So, best solution seems to drop at all 2, entry (the http one, Browse engine).
Or at least alternate it with the Search with one when a dot or something more
appears.
Let me point out again that just typing and pressing ENTER rekonq easily
guesses your real needs thanks to KUriFilter job.
So, suggestions are just suggestions. That's the point.

> The next entry is "http://heise.de" from history, also good.
> But I need actually three arrow down hits to get there!
>
> I would prefer to have the searchengine not shown in the list but if there
> is no "." (dot) in the urlbars content just search for this and the first
> list item should be "http://heise.de" from history.

This can easily be implemented.

> Well, thats just my opinion on this.
> Maybe too oldschool ;-)