[rekonq] rekonq HomePage

Johannes Zellner johannes.zellner at nokia.com
Tue Sep 15 09:57:27 CEST 2009

On Sunday 13 September 2009 10:18:16 megabigbug wrote:
> Le mardi 8 septembre 2009 02:52:55, Andrea Diamantini a écrit :
> > During my last work trip, I had occasions to play a bit with css and
> > Javascript.
> > I also had a little course about. So, I started thinking about rekonq
> > home page. No, not rekonq website home page.. its "home", the url you
> > load pressing "home" button (or creating a new tab, thanks to Lindsay
> > patch). So this evening, from 21pm to now, I created this. It's a first
> > draft of rekonq new home page.
> > You can find it in the HomePage branch on gitorious.
> > Hope you like it :)
> >
> > Comments, hints, ideas are really welcome!
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> I test it with your last commit.
>
> To be honnest, I don't like it.
> Not because font size and colors are not good (it can be improved). Because
>  it doesn't give more feature than history panel and bookmark menu.
>  Moreover, Konqueror have already something like that for bookmarks.
> From chrome and opera, it misses webpage previews. (Perhaps we must take a
> look at this. I would like to see previews when mouse is over tabs.)
> From IE it misses accelerators features, for instance: translate with
>  windows live.
>

> I propose something more KDEish:
>
> Use a plasma containment.
>
> Have you seen the newspaper activity of plasma-netbook ?

Hi,

I'm also not a friend of html/javascript for a homepage with more advanced
features for starting your new tab to browse.
I'd like see more something better integrated in the gui.
Is there really a need, that a blank new tab is like a html site?

I personally like the idea of Opera with the speed dial, but this could also
be done in Qt itself with custom widgets and nice animations.
Also to see better integrated startpage we should use QPalette so the colors
fit the current theming.

And of course native QWidgets perform bettern than a html site that needs to
be parsed and rendered and JS needs to be executed.

For a starting point I quickly found:
http://daniel-albuschat.blogspot.com/2008/12/embedding-qt-widgets-into-
qtwebkit.html

And rendering sites in a QImage look at the example on:
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/qwebpage.html#details
(Don't know if thats already in use in rekonq ;) )

Sorry I'm busy right now, otherwise I'd really would like to hack a better
example of what I'm proposing....

Thanks,
Johannes