[rekonq] Re : rekonq HomePage

Shaneeb Kamran shaneebster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 03:16:27 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Lionel Chauvin <megabigbug at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> > I don't  know too much about Qt, only some patches in KDE...but i read
> sometime that
>
> > with webkit was possible to embedd qt widgets in the html, no?
>
> For instance, buttons in webpages are qt widgets. I don't know if qtWebKit
> allow to insert other widgets. Imo: mix technologies is not a good Idea.

QtWebKit does allow you to embed native (Qt) widgets into the page. This is
done by using the <object> tag in the html page, along with the use of
QWebPluginFactory in code.

> > The Home page in chromium is html with javascript? or do they use gtk
> widgets for
>
> > the preview decorations?
>

> Google uses Ajax for their services. I think they do the same thing for the
> home page. (I don't test chrome)

I am not 100% sure about this but Google Chrome uses a mixture of HTML and
'native' code to display the new tab page.

> > This is only an idea i've just had, perhaps this has no sense...
>

> Thank you to propose ideas :)
>

> Imo, we have the choice of html/javascript or qt/plasma, not a mix. Andrea
> choose html/javascript, I will help him in this way.

Originally, Chrome's new tab page was only javascript/html but then there
were issues with its performance (the page used to take ages to load) so now
they have split the page into an html page and a "native backend". So I dont
suppose we need to repeat the same mistake again by implementing a slower
javascript/html when we can go for a faster, mixed (html/native) solution.
And IMO it wont be any "ugly", if its implemented using QtWebKit provided
facilities.

Someone might (rightfully) argue that if its all about speed then why not
implement it completely in native code. Well, the answer lies in the ease
with which html can be modified to change the layout, colors etc without
messing with the code, while the parts needing performance can be delegated
to native code.

P.S: I am not just a "opinionated spectator". I will work on implementing it
this way if other developers agree. And sorry Lionel for the private
message. These GUIs make you do stupid things ;-)
--

Regards,
Shaneeb Kamran