[rekonq] rekonq HomePage

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 11:44:18 CEST 2009

On Sunday 13 September 2009 10:18:16 megabigbug wrote:
> Le mardi 8 septembre 2009 02:52:55, Andrea Diamantini a écrit :
> > During my last work trip, I had occasions to play a bit with css and
> > Javascript.
> > I also had a little course about. So, I started thinking about rekonq
> > home page. No, not rekonq website home page.. its "home", the url you
> > load pressing "home" button (or creating a new tab, thanks to Lindsay
> > patch). So this evening, from 21pm to now, I created this. It's a first
> > draft of rekonq new home page.
> > You can find it in the HomePage branch on gitorious.
> > Hope you like it :)
> >
> > Comments, hints, ideas are really welcome!
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> I test it with your last commit.
>
> To be honnest, I don't like it.
> Not because font size and colors are not good (it can be improved). Because
>  it doesn't give more feature than history panel and bookmark menu.
>  Moreover, Konqueror have already something like that for bookmarks.
> From chrome and opera, it misses webpage previews. (Perhaps we must take a
> look at this. I would like to see previews when mouse is over tabs.)
> From IE it misses accelerators features, for instance: translate with
>  windows live.
>

> I propose something more KDEish:
>
> Use a plasma containment.
>
> Have you seen the newspaper activity of plasma-netbook ?
>
> I would like hear the advise of Ivan about that.

Hi Lionel,
and thanks for the comment. I'm aware this is something "weird", but it is a
feature I really like including in rekonq, so I pushed in as you suggested
some days ago (take decisions, remember? :) ).

I just thought about the "plasma containment" idea. And I'm not sure it could
really fit our needs. That's because we cannot provide there something different
people just "has" in its desktop.

Following my initial idea, I'll try to explain my ideas about. In that page we
can easily provide this sort of information:
- history (all or just more recent. Last day? Last 30 visited sites?)
- recently closed tabs
- bookmarks (again, all or just "some")
- a search box for every of the preferred search engines (search in Google,
Wikipedia, KDE API, etc...)

I'm seeing also some code about "site preview". There is something about that
in kde-apps (http://kde-
apps.org/content/show.php/SpeedDial+for+KDE?content=96053).
We can reuse that code to provide it.

I think these infos are more important for the browsing task. We need just to
choose what are "best" to display.

Regards,