[rekonq] Right click menu

Emmanuel Surleau emmanuel.surleau at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 21:57:35 CEST 2009

Dear all,

Now that 4.3.1 is out AND that I found the reason why right-clicking on a text
element crashed rekonq, I can play with the latest and greatest rekonq
again. And it's getting pretty good, especially now that right-clicking on
bookmarks works properly. Keep up the good work, people!

However, all is not perfect, especially when navigating primarily with the
mouse. I have a few thoughts on how the right-click menu could be
improved in this respect, and I'm curious to know what you guys think about
it.

First off, 'Back-with-history' as it is now in the right click menu, is not the
best solution, in my opinion. 90% of the time, users want to go back to the
last page visited. I think having to go all the way up to the menubar for the
last 10% is an acceptable trade-off, in return for not having to move the
mouse more than a few pixels when right-clicking and hitting 'back'. So I
vote to have a simple 'back' with no history (additionally, it would make it
consistent with 'forward' which has no history).

Secondly, right-clicking on a text element selects this text immediately and
lets you copy it (fine). But you lose all the functionality from the "normal"
right click menu (bad, since most of the area of a standard webpage is well,
text). I would suggest having at least back/forward/reload just below 'copy'.
Maybe move the 'Search with...' items in a submenu.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Emm