[rekonq] Awsome Bar: Organization Ideas

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 10:06:38 CEST 2009

On Sunday 02 August 2009 10:40:55 Lionel Chauvin wrote:
> It is not exactly the same suggestion.
>
> >User has just a list to choose from. Or not?
>
> At the begining of the implementation: yes.
> But my suggestion proposes 3 lists (Perhaps it is not a good Idea).

No, the problem was just I didn't understand it well. Now it's ok, thanks.

> My suggestion needs these Runners (in this order):
>
> -------------------------
> Part 1: Action
>
> - WebshortcutsRunner: It detects if the user types a webshortcuts (with :
> delimiter)
>
> - LoadUrlRunner: It detects if the user type an url. If not, It proposes to
> go to google.
>
> -------------------------
> Part 2: Search
>
> - GoogleRunner: It returns the first results of google search (not
> opensearch suggestions whose are in the suggestion part). This runner
> starts a google request one second after the user has stopped typing. It
> parses the resulting webpage and provides results to the user. It keeps in
> cache previous results and provides them instantly when the user type
> something.
>
> - HistoryRunner.
>
> - BookmarkRunner.
>
> -------------------------
> Part 3: Suggestions (help to write a query)
>
> - WebshortcutsOpensearchRunner: It detects if the user types a webshortcuts
> and propose opensearch suggestions corresponding to this webshortcut.
>
> - GoogleOpensearchRunner: it detects if the user doesn't type a
> webshortcuts (or if there is no opensearch for a webshortcuts) and it
> proposes google opensearch suggestions.
>
> - WebshortcutsHelperRunner: It detects if the user types a keyword that is
> in a webshortcut description and it suggests a webshortcut query. It helps
> the user to learn webshortcuts.
>
> -------------------------
>
> We will not use space delimiter for webshortcuts, WebshortcutsHelperRunner
> will solve this problem. At the begining, we will not use webshortcuts
> default search engine.
>
> In the futur we will need to propose other search engines than Google.
>
> What do you think about that ? (I am not sure Runner works like that)

My idea here is to implement the first 2 parts. They seems ok (and really
great).
So I propose them for rekonq 0.3 awesome bar.

My problem with 3rd part is that the first two could retrieve so much sites
that having more runners will add just confusion (too much choices!)

Divide results in two (or three, in future) parts seems ok, here.

PS: don't know what GoogleTOS is, but I think that GoogleRunner will be one of
the most useful rekonq's awesome bar runners. So it has to be here.

Regards,

--
Andrea Diamantini,
IRC: adjam_AT_freenode