[rekonq] NO MERGING ISSUES

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 12:52:56 CEST 2009

On Saturday 18 April 2009 12:23:55 Domrachev Alexandr wrote:
> On 18 апреля 2009 04:58:26 Andrea Diamantini wrote:
> > I wanna start this mail thanking all you again for your fantastic work
> > and help to rekonq project.
> > Questions about the no merging issues during these holidays are basically
> > two I'm seeing in your clones.
> > Clones are actually rekonq forks and as this always helps features and
> > ideas to be implemented lets discerning quite hard.
> >
> > So here are some small rules to follow to help at best rekonq dev:
> >
> > 1.
> > NO large commits. as avaddon just explained in one post some days ago (i
> > read all just this morning), we have one fantastic rule:
> >
> > ONE feature <= ONE commit.
> >
> > So all we can push one feature with one or more commits, but one commit
> > has to be about just 1 feature.
>
> No comments :)
>
> > 2.
> > NO features non approved in master. For example I saw a beautiful side
> > panel implementation. But rekonq will never have a side panel. That's
> > because side panels are usability evils and I'd like rekonq to be "easy".
>
> No I don't agree. If you don't like something it doesn't mean that that it
> shouldn't be in mainline. I've got more than 600 bookmarks... how I suppose
> to search through them? With menu? - No way.
> 	With urlbar dropdown? - yes it's better, but anyway not the same as side
> panel. Easy - maybe, but I should be also easy to use.
>
> > 3.
> > NO unuseful re-implementations. I really spent one hour to review pawel
> > Download class refactoring, that was able just to introduce just one bug
> > (issue #?) and no more features.
>
> Actually there is many features added with this implementation of download
> manager. It's solved many bugs.
>
> > Why do we feel the needing of doing such things??
>
> Because we feel so :)
>
> > And just to be honest, that class is copied from kget code.
>
> Exactly. Rekonq is browser, KGet - download manager. I hope you can feel
> the difference. Code good to download manager may not fit internet browser.

Start replying from here.

We all like point 1. That was the more important point, so it's a good
starting point :)

About bookmarks questions, my idea is to refactor rekonq bookmarks system in
this way:
- create a separate dir for bookmarks tab (like Arora), not exposing ALL
bookmarks.
- support KDE bookmarks:/ protocol
For me the second should be right alternative to bookmarks sidebar.

About download class... I'm going to review again your code ;) Perhaps I
pulled some half works, really cannot think some other...

rekonq isn't (and has not) a download manager. It just can (obviously) start
file downloading. And creating a new instance of download class is (for me) the
right way of doing so.
From that KIO::job we can link to (and just do it) to KDE notification system,
to kget or to every other download manager supporting KDE technologies.
It's fast, simple and safe. So (again), what's better?

stop for now, back in the afternoon..
--
Andrea Diamantini
MAIL: adjam7_AT_gmail_DOT_com

tadarattadara tattà tatatatatà tadarattadara tattà tattattattattà..
(me, taking a shower...)