[Raptor-Menu] SOme ideas

Fabien Bodard gambas.fr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 20:55:04 CEST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Fabien Bodard <gambas.fr at gmail.com>
Date: 2008/9/2
Subject: Re: [Raptor-Menu] SOme ideas
To: Siraj Razick <sirajr at gmail.com>

it's just what i want to prove, the power of raptor is not only in the
nuno's menu style but in the power to change the menu definition , to
make able to integrate menu style as a theme components too. in this
way i think we will integrate a maximum in the background, and not
attach the widjets to the ui.

so the ui can be an xml definition file, with svg part and some script
code to make it dynamic. I don't want a menu that stay to many in the
old school way ..;  i meen the same for all.

I want it themable..

You are true for the mouse move in a first time, but don't forget the wheel.

Now i want to talk about the menu it self ... what need to do a good
menu in 2008. So as it is the aim of raptor it need to be sharp, quick
to use.

but ... in the plasma path, i means it have the need to be beautifull,
and usefull, it need to reduce the panel use, it need to be compleate.

So we need at least 3 frame ... despite what say nuno.

1) favorites
2) A way to walk to the true menu tree (every body not remember the
name of an app)
3) A way to quit kde
4) a search result

Optional:
5) deal with strigi result
6) New app
7) My contact

So ... this menu need to be an agregator too.
All what i see here are lists. So our menu is just a tool that deal
with lists, but with a way to calculate the usage of them.

No why working only on the menu ... the button menu can have some
improvement too... like a clock, so i can simplify my panel, some
button that appear arount it to be able to select the raptor menu
frame (favourite, etc) and store the lost usage so the menu while show
the last used.

it have not to replace everithing but by plugin, it will be able to
show me on the need what i need. and quikly,

There is 3 state for this menu as i can see :

- On the panel
- on the Desktop
- Popup

The way popup for me means ... you press META+Left Click and the menu
appear under the mouse with the principal icon under the cursor.

if the mouse is too near the screen border, the cursor is moved a bit
automaticly, so i just have to wheel a bit !!!

As every body now in 2008, i want all and every where. So fortunally
we can't doing that in a day lol, but the database and the background
(is it the comme subroutine ?) Must to be drawed for that. Too support
all kind of list. and have a group field too ... it will be a good
idea to sort icon in a groupe (internet, multimedia).

But we need to think the more freely as possible.

Now to little word to our pinheiro... Every body not calculate the 2
sec access more to a menu. You are a great artist, so free your
creativity, we need both a true professionnal thing as you have done
.. for professionnal but i think we need fun things too ... in other
case i can use the xfce menu too lol. Beautifull and usefull. I know
that my mockup is not calculate i've used your formula ..; bad result.
But anyway it's fun to imagine what can be a menu without having some
wall all around my head. And unfortunally here in france, fond of
linux are also fond of fun. And kde 4 is amazing and Fun ... and
plasma truelly flexible.

Siraj you want to learn me C++ and plasma libs ? i you want ..; it
will take a wheel... but with pleasure lol.

no i'm not a good C++ devellopper ... but i can make a try.
nevertheless i'm known to be a hole of ideas.

i need to see how plasma work. (hem and a little bit kde too lol)

but i which to help you, depite the fact that i'm more a designer that
a develloper and more a vinegrower in the true life.

Fabien

Just for the history... i'm using kde since the 1.1 version.. and now
... the better is coming