[Raptor-Menu] Development status of the menu

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Sun Aug 31 16:04:31 CEST 2008

On Sunday 31 August 2008 15:24:03 Siraj Razick wrote:
> Hi,

Hola Siraj. =)

> Thank you for your interest, well Raptor has a history deeper than it's
> design, To enlighten you on the fact, Kickoff and Raptor are not friends
> they never were , and it will never be, If you need to call it software
> politics thats fine too, I was working closely with plasma *once*, and it
> finally came to a point we needed a menu. and on a meeting Aaron and Robert
> Kinght choose to port Kickoff instead of helping raptor, clearly knocking
> us of (*politics*) and that does not make me hate any one, so please don't
> bring back kickoff (simply brings back old memories, and I can't
> concentrate on any thing else) .  the reason for the lag was 100% our
> fault, we had too many things to do, but for good reasons the raptor team
> is back.

Siraj, you're a nice guy, and you know I estimate you. =) However, I don't
think that acting like that will really benefit us. You know, I hate kickoff
just like most of the people on this list and around the globe, but acting
like that only brings us to further delays in getting the code ready.

Robert Knight is not a really nice guy to work with, and on that I agree, and
I don't like how he treated us. However, there's no need to make the issue
bigger than what it really is.
We needed a menu for 4.0, Knight came up with one (probably somehting he
already did for SuSE), and raptor was far from being ready. That's the only
reason it got in. Many people in plasma still see kickoff as a huge mess and
simply a temporary replacement for raptor.

Now, sharing the code just gives us a big advantage because we don't have to
reinvent the wheel. The code for itself is not evil (apart for the view), and
I see nothing bad in taking over a well tested, tuned, and almost bugfree
code for the legacy categories.

And I don't really think that there is a plot against raptor in KDE, really.
=)

I don't like kickoff, I don't like (some of) the people that did it, but this
doesn't mean I don't like their code, especially if I can make a better
product with it.

Bye,
-Riccardo
--