Changing input language when connected to an external monitor

KO BYEONGMIN kobyeongmin at korea.ac.kr
Tue May 17 12:50:22 BST 2022

Hi Vakr (and greetings to those who are also interested in this issue,)

This evening I found the time to follow the Arch Wiki guide on changing
keymaps
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Linux_console/Keyboard_configuration>
and see whether
this enables Korean input for the Pinephone. Unfortunately this did not
work, and in this email I report
two observations I made that might explain the failure:

the first observation is that there exists no Korean keymap in
`/usr/share/kbd/keymaps` but I believe this could be
fixed rather quickly (perhaps it already exists in the Arch repository?).

The second one is more interesting. I wanted to see whether I can change
my keymap to German
just to see whether `sudo loadkeys de` would let me type the German
umlauts and enable the proper
QWERTZ keymap <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_keyboard_layout>.
However the command[0] did not alter the keymap as expected; pressing "Y" on
my keyboard still gave me "Y" instead of "Z". Trying out various
variants of `de` (for example, `de-latin1`)
did not produce different outcomes.

Then I discovered that the output of the command `localectl status` does
not change after entering the
loadkeys command. Both before and after `sudo loadkeys de` the keyboard
configurations are set as

> System Locale: LANG=en_us.UTF-8
> VC Keymap: n/a
> X11 Layout: n/a

Perhaps this unexpected persistence to `n/a` keymap (if one could call
it a keymap) has something to do
with the fact that Plasma Mobile uses Wayland instead of X11, but this
is just my wild guess.

At this point I am stuck and don't know how to proceed with the
`loadkeys` command. It would be very
much appreciated if you could share any insights on what could be done.
(Of course, I would perfectly
understand if you do not have enough time/energy for doing so.)

Thank you for reading this long email, and I hope you have a nice day :)

Byeongmin

---

[0] The command was executed when the Pinephone was connected to a
hardware keyboard and
an external monitor via the USB-C dock.