after restart, keyboard does not work under wayland session on main user account

Martin Suhlmann martin.suhlmann at gmx.de
Sat Mar 16 13:55:59 GMT 2024

Dear Mr. Graesslin,

I have a curious problem I hope you find interesting and might be able
to provide an insight - of this is a general problem in which case
pointing it out might be helpful for KDE.

I upgraded Tumbleweed from Plasma 5.27.x to the above setting via tty
since using zypper dup, the update did not run through. After that, the
system behaved normal and especially, the keyboard was running fine.

This morning, after logging into my wayland session, no keyboard inputs
where recognized by the KDE-Plasma-Wayland session. I tried to narrow
the problem down and found all other user accounts running fine on
wayland, only my own admin account seems corrupted. Is this a
KDE-Problem, Wayland related, or just bad luck with a flipping bit after
shutdown (yesterday) and restart (today). I find this curious.

Since I am relatively new to Linux (3.11.2023 fresh start with this
system), I do not know which config file is to blame, and since other
user accounts do not experience this odd behaviour, I am hesitant to
just do a system reinstall.

What I found is that de_DE Language package is displayed as

even though the system was installed in german, other user accounts are
still german, but my account interface in the "startmenu" is suddenly in
english, and so are some other parts of the UI as well.

If I should guess, the language settings are botched up, and this is
hindering the keyboard from giving any input to the system after login
(unit login screen, tty or X11-Session, keyboard works fine as I
demonstrate.

Should this be a problem on my end only, and should you have an idea, I
would be very glad I you could help me out, and if this is a general
problem (system upgrades should not render a system inoperable in the
IO), I hope this feedback is helpful.

Thanks a lot for the nice KDE experience so far, the keyboard problem
aside, and have a nice weekend.

Martin Suhlmann