monday meeting notes for 19/2/2024

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 16:06:57 GMT 2024

Kai Uwe
Okular:
    Fix render glitches in presentation mode with fractional scaling
under Wayland, please have a look:
https://invent.kde.org/graphics/okular/-/merge_requests/927
        Seems there’s some other things wrong in it during transitions
(damage region? dunno) but at least the presentation itself looks ok
now
plasma-browser-integraton:
    Truncate excessively long URLs in download reporting (e.g. data
URLs), https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-browser-integration/-/merge_requests/121
Plasma:
    Fixed Kickoff search broken, looks like a QTBUG but I haven’t been
able to reproduce with a minimal example
        It fails to resolve some property type and then assignment fails :/
    Add %j placeholder for Solid device action, needed by KIO AFC,
please review: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-browser-integration/-/merge_requests/121
Frameworks:
    KIO::iconNameForUrl strips slashes now before matching a standard
path, fixes Dolphin’s tab bar not using the proper (e.g. Downloads)
icon
Qt:
    Been looking into supporting QSurfaceFormat for SHM (raster) windows
        Right now all Qt Wayland SHM windows are RGBA32, regardless of
whether the app wants transparency or not.
        I want to at least alpha vs non-alpha (QSurfaceFormat is quite
extensive), so we get an XRGB surface for e.g. WA_OpaquePaintEvent
windows
            That’s most toplevel windows, except maybe context menus
and tooltips
        All much more complicated thanks to stupid client-side
decorations, as usual
presentationwidget: Invalidate pixmaps on dpr change (!927) · Merge
requests · Graphics / Okular · GitLab - GitLab
Since the last rendered pixmap is usually reused, its device pixel
ratio can end up different from the devicePixelRatioF() of the widget
which is used for most size...
Download Job: Truncate excessively long URLs (!121) · Merge requests ·
Plasma / Plasma Browser Integration · GitLab - GitLab
Limit them to a reasonable length, and don't send data URLs at all
since they aren't human-readable and typically very long. Modeled
after what KIO does...

Xaver:
* mostly bugfixing ahead of the release, not gonna list it all
* implemented direct scanout for the nested Wayland backend, which
reduces latency and improves efficiency with fullscreen windows. More
nested pass-through stuff might still come later
* started fixing plasmashell dying when too many windows are open.
KWayland is getting in the way though, so if anyone is more motivated
than me to port shellcorona away from KWayland, that would be nice :)
* added a workaround for Intel to not advertise HDR support by
default, because the Intel driver is broken AF. So don't be surprised
if the HDR option disappears on Intel hw... You can get it back with
KWIN_DRM_ALLOW_INTEL_COLORSPACE=1
* implemented an experimental tag of the upstream color management
protocol in KWin. If KWIN_ENABLE_XX_COLOR_MANAGEMENT=1 is set, it'll
be exposed to apps, and you can start experimenting with it /
implementing it in apps. There shouldn't be any major changes to the
final upstream protocol when that's merged. Note that you'll also want
to set KWIN_DRM_FORCE_COLOR_MANAGEMENT=1 if you do anything with alpha
blending through Wayland, because otherwise it won't be correct

[DavidE] wrt plasmashell and kwayland lets check what it's using it
for and see if we can make some dedicated simpler API for that
[Xaver] it's only about the active window. Adding a plasma window
management event for that would make it simpler instead of all the
tracking that KWayland does internally

Nico:
In terms of "are we ready?": There's ~500 bugreports tagged with
'qt6', which sounds scary but isn't really
But I'd appreciate if eneryone went though the list and looked for
important ones/blockers
https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=CONFIRMED&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&keywords=qt6&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=2616845&query_format=advanced

Fushan
    Port many QString::split to QStringView::split, use efficient
overloads. Many have been merged thanks to apol and alex, some
awaiting approval, one regression found and fixed thanks to
genericity. It's a simple change that can reduce hundreds of
instructions :)
        https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kdeplasma-addons/-/merge_requests/539
        https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/3925
        https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/2043
(not mergeable because gcc11 doesn't fully support split_views)
        https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/2044
    Keep the context menu of a containment to work around a qtbug:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/libplasma/-/merge_requests/1061
    Add screenFromQuickWindow in PanelView to fix a keyboard
navigation problem:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/3722
    Be more heuristic in finding the associated desktop file for a
window: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/3932
    Investigating libei, it seems at-spi can perform mouse clicks
through it on mutter which is exciting
    Should the touchpad widget be removed again? It's already not
addable in Plasma6.
[discussion on removing the touchpad widget] conclusion is yes