Plasma 6 Alpha Meeting chat

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Tue Oct 31 20:19:43 GMT 2023

I hijacked the Plasma meeting yesterday for a discussion about Plasma 6
alpha release which is due next Wednesday alongside alphas of Frameworks
and Gear

>From my notes:

- kwayland, plasma-framework, kactivities and presumably kactivities-stats
are to move from Frameworks to Plasma releases
-- I have proposed this to the Frameworks team at the meeting today

- print-manager and wacomtablet are to move from Gear to Plasma releases
-- I have proposed this on release-team@

- plasma-mobile and qqc2-breeze-style, it was discussed to postpone this
from the release at the meeting but I since spoke to Devin Lin and who does
want them included.

- Make a standalone Qt 5 release of qqc2-breeze-style for use by distros
who will be packaging qqc2-breeze-style alpha which is now Qt 6 only.
-- It should have a different name, I propose to use qqc2-breeze5-style

- Drop plasma-bigscreen and apps for now, it has not been ported to Qt 6.
-- This also means dropping aura-browser, plank-player and
plasma-remotecontrollers although they do have Qt 6 ports

- plasma-sdk cuttlefish should be renamed to iconexplorer or something
equally boring to match the other tools
-- This wasn't universally agreed so I'll make a MR

- Keep oxygen and oxygen-sounds

- Minimum Qt version is 6.6 for Plasma

- Include ocean-sound-theme
-- This has passed kde review

- include gamepad-kcm
-- Needs the kde review completed
https://invent.kde.org/redstrate/gamepad-kcm/-/issues/1 (but not
necessarily by alpha day)
-- Needs moved to plasma namespace
-- Decide if it's a standalone repo or part of plasma-desktop
-- I believe this should replace kcm_joystick "Game Controller"
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/tree/master/kcms/joystick?ref_type=heads
which is an MR here
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1787 but the
MR is only for a drop in replacement not the full thing yet

- Keep kwrited (against my better judgement!)

- Keep releasing kwayland-integration despite it being Qt 5 only, it's
needed for older apps

On the issue of Feature Freeze we didn't get to unity.  Alpha is next
week.  Beta is end of November.  Release candidate is January and final
release end of February.  We discussed when a soft and hard feature freeze
should be in those. We decided to make a list of features and review them
individually although the details of this are a bit vauge to me so far.

And while I'm here this discussion
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/issues/52#note_676743
confirms version numbers remain the same and release frequency remains the
same for now but should move to 6 monthly after we stabalise (as discussed
with distros).

Does that seem right?

Anything else?

Jonathan