Monday meeting notes for 23/10/2023

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 15:36:32 BST 2023

Kai Uwe
For some reason for a couple of days I am having something eat all RAM
when my system wakes up after having been suspended by closing the
lid. It recovers after a short while when the Linux kernel starts
killing chromium processes but I still haven’t figure out what causes
this.
KWin:
    Let decorations communicate init failure, allows e.g. Aurorae to
report failure to load QML files
        ABI break, void init() is now bool init(), adjusted Aurorae
and Breeze, Oxygen pending
    Fall back to CSD when decoration loading fails as a last resort to
avoid ending up with no decorations
    Minimize geometry for child windows checks their parent now
        To match X11 behavior. Ensures they are minimized correctly to
Task Manager once we filter them out there
Plasma:
    VPN password dialog calls forceActivateWindow again, focus
stealing prevention breaks that on X
        Need to find a proper/cleaner way for Plasma 6…
Frameworks:
    KUrlNavigatorToggleButton is rendered correctly with fractional scaling now
Qt:
    Qt Multimedia sets correct app id/name/icon now
        Apps no longer show up as just “QtPulseAudio” in Volume applet
    Looked a bit into non-RGB subpixel font rendering
        Gonna be a tough one, on Unix Qt just checks Fontconfig,
completely disregards what QScreen says, and even if it did mostly
just checks the primary one, nevertheless
        implemented subpixelAntialiasingTypeHint on QWaylandScreen
    Found that nasty Qt DBus “Could not connect” error breaking Solid,
BlueDevil and others:
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/513362

Joshua
Did two small things for plasma last week:
    Fixed the default keybinds for switching between virtual desktops
in kwin (https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/4519)
    Fixed the activity manager applet for Plasma 6
(https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1772)

DavidE
There's some activity on the topic of activities
Discussion about https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/issues/35

Xaver
* I was at a Valve hackfest and XDC, and got a bunch done there:
* I helped push the tearing patches for the kernel forward again by
talking with a few people and testing an edge case
* I figured out why my ICC profile patch for KWin weren't working,
they're all correct now
* made some plans for multi gpu handling with Vulkan and Wayland protocols
* I got some advice on how to debug GPU resets with my WIP Vulkan
renderer for KWin
* last but very much not least, together with Joshua (Valve) and
Victoria (System76) I got a working prototype of HDR games working in
gamescope running nested in KWin, with the upstream color management
protocol proposal! I'm currently looking into cutting down the
protocol so that we can still get this working before Plasma 6

DavidR
* Last week nicofee and I made a last push to get rif of kwayland-intregation
* The wayland plugin is finally in kwindowsystem now
* kwayland-integration is Qt5 only to support Qt5 apps on plasma6
* I see nicofee has continued refactoring kwindowsystem but that he
can tell about himself

Niccolò
I finished up the panel settings redesign, now everything should be
working nicely, including the ruler :) I did found a couple of weird
positioning issues on plasma-framework / plasma-workspace for the main
dialog though, I've investigated them a bit. Next up I'll be focusing
on adding the visibility options we decided to introduce (or
re-introduce) in the VDG (windows go below, dodge windows)

Marco
* fixed layout problems in panel on non fillwidth
* pushed api change in ksvg and a bunch of depending repos
(QSize->QSizeF signature change)
* redone and properly fixed the fix of kirigami applicationheader
* kwin: fixed crash in kwin on WindowThumbnail teardown (destructor already ran)
* fixed some papercuts in discover, continuing this week
* backported a crash fix in Qt5: still have to do a commit in the
proper format, ugh
https://invent.kde.org/qt/qt/qtdeclarative/-/merge_requests/53