Plasma meeting 2023-11-06

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Nov 6 18:04:11 GMT 2023

On Tue, Nov 7, 2023 at 5:16 AM Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:

> FsetPositionButton.checkedreeze dates
>
> Soft Freeze 1 week before Beta 1, 22nd November 2023
> Hard Freeze at Beta 1, 29 Nov 2023
>
> Freeze policy:
>     We are not sure where we want to go with activitise and we have moved
> them into Plasma.  It would be nice to feeze eventually but for now should
> be open to API/ABI changes.  This is for:
> kactivities
> kactivities-stats
> kwayland
> plasma-frameworks - this should be kept stable (in order not to break
> Plasma's uses)
> This should be documented in a README in the repo
> Rename
> plasma-frameworks rename to libplasma

Please make sure you have MRs ready for this. I wish this change had been
submitted at the same time as renaming a well used repository is just as
invasive as moving it....

The change just done moments ago for the versioning has led to quite a bit
of breakage that people are already bringing to my attention because it
appears to be a fault of the CI system when it is a fault of
plasma-framework. (also, that versioning change broke FreeBSD CI somehow as
well, so i'm guessing that the CMake changes have changed the compiler
parameters as well to make them less tolerant of warnings)

> Qt minimum version
> Min Qt version should be bumped to 6.6 at some point but BSD CI is not
> ready.  So put this on the packaging notes for Alpha.
>

> Wayland by Default?
> Previous decision was "yes when all showstoppers have been fixed".  There
> are currently 4 show stoppers.  2 accessibility and 2 session restore.  We
> can say that sessoin restore is a feature not a bug and make it not a show
> stopper.
>
> Question: should we drop no session restore as a show stopper?  Yes, if we
> make sure KCMs are doing what features are available
>
> Accessibility ones are "niche" e.g sticky keys.  Nico has half an
> implementation of one so may happen.
>
> Warn on logout feels like a showstopper as it loses data
>
> Suggestion: try our best for showstopper implementation and review later
>
> Do we need guidance on nvidia drivers?
>
> qqc2-breeze-style: make a standalone qt5 release
>
> plasma5support: include this in release
>
> Jonathan to send list of tars to mailing list
>
> Nico has a change, porting applet config to new things.  No rush to do it
> before alpha.
>
> Text chat meeting next week.  Video in 2 weeks time.

Cheers,
Ben