plasma-framework, kactivities and kactivities-stats: please consider proper de-KF-ication now

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Sun Nov 5 17:01:38 GMT 2023

On 11/5/23 07:42, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> I was clumsily advocating for this Akademy 2021 or 2022 (can't remember
> which).
>
> This way it's clearer to application authors when they tie themselves to a
> given workspace or not.
>
> Also, isn't Elisa able to work without Baloo? It even seems to do the right
> thing if I trust its CMakeLists.txt. It has Baloo as a recommended but
> optional dependency, and disable it altogether for Win32 builds.

Yes, Elisa also includes an internal indexer, for use on Windows and
Android, or on *Nix when Baloo isn't installed or is disabled.

I think the original idea for the app was to delegate all the indexing
heavy lifting to Baloo to avoid internal complication, but clearly this
has not worked out in practice, since to be truly cross-platform, it
can't assume that Baloo is present and active and does need its own
indexer. So maybe the best course of action is actually to remove Baloo
support entirely and always use the internal indexer, so that we don't
have two different code paths.

Nate