Plasma-integration and branches

David Redondo kde at david-redondo.de
Tue Jun 20 13:53:08 BST 2023

Am Freitag, 16. Juni 2023, 13:37:20 CEST schrieb David Edmundson:
> We've discussed a few times an issue with plasma-integration and
> supporting Qt5 and Qt6 clients.
>
> When we release Plasma 6, we need to ensure that a Qt5 and Qt6 builds
> are released. We need users to have both as they are plugins where
> users might have Qt5 and Qt6 codebases.
>
> Right now master branch supports both. The Qt branches are massively
> divergent for Qt 5 and 6 clients and we're filling it with a huge mess
> of if statements and it's a pain to work on. There's patches blocked
> on needing ifdefs.
>
> The proposal is we make a Plasma/6.0-qt5 branch based off the current
> Plasma/5.27 branch but fixing the version numbers.
>
> At release time we will release a tarball from Plasma/6.0 and
> Plasma/6.0-qt5 with different tarball names.
> Translations would have to be considered. Pragmatically translations
> will be identical to 5.27, though it's not guaranteed.
>
> Before we go ahead, are there any objections and can release team
> people and i18n confirm they're ok with the above.

Harald and I prototyped another solution to build a Qt
 5 and Qt 6 version out of the same repo and employed it on
plasma-integration: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-integration/-/
merge_requests/91
This has the advantage of having the code for both versions in
the same place and the Qt5 version being not stuck on some old
 version. Also the translations can be shared automatically since
they use the same catalog.
There is one case  where Qt uses unversioned targets and one
unversioned ecm variable but cadavidn be easily worked around.

> David
David