Monday meeting notes for 12/6/2023

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 15:27:16 BST 2023

Nico
* Lots of random KF6 stuff
* In terms of Plasma most relevant: Worked on renaming kded5 to kded6
* https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/2979
* That needs some careful review of existing modules to avoid
surprises/incompatibilities
* I also worked a bunch on refactoring brightness handling in powerdevil
* Mostly separating keyboard and screen brightness handling

Alex
* I have been working mostly on KF6 related stuff.
* Most importantly, the KCM refactoring and move of the org.kde.kcm module.
* This is finished now and the last thing to do is clean up some
unneded/compat code in
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kcmutils/-/merge_requests/147. This
could use a review.
* Folks need to recompile the KCM-consuming projects, but that should
not bee too big of an issue
* I worked on the KRunner threading refactor of
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/krunner/-/merge_requests/139 and
discussed some API things regarding threading with Volker. Will need a
few days to finish it.
* https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/2915
is ready now, I only need to revive the KCM counterpart. The
plasma-workspace change can already be reviewed.

Fushan
* The custom drag helper in the notification widget is ready to be
removed: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/2962
* Fix a minor accent color glitch:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/2970
* Make it possible to drag QR image to the desktop, like in KDE4
times: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kdeplasma-addons/-/merge_requests/392
* Revived some old MRs to improve panel efficiency after I daily drive
a 4k monitor, now it consumes less cpu when moving windows around.

Xaver
* KWin git master should now be pretty robust against GPU resets, at
least with the very latest Mesa from git. If it still causes issues
for anyone, please annoy me about it
* I did lots of experiments and research for HDR and color management
stuff. The situation with monitors is very sad - most of them
completely ignore all the specifications and predicting their behavior
is hard. We likely have to pack some workaround toggles into KScreen
to make it work well
* I'm close to fixing multi gpu performance with NVidia on Wayland.
It's "working" but there's still lots of glitches because of missing
synchronization

Marco
* "only" main highlight, i finally merged most of the huge mrs about
the mega refactor started at the sprint
* there will still need to be done some smaller refactors but in the future
* 2 mrs rmain open: printer manager and kdeconnect: because they are
not in workspace therefore can't be merged yet kf6-only stuff
* after that i restarted my port to standalone ksvg, opening a bunch
of reviews, will undraft them soon

Afterwards short discussion on what to do about kdeclarative's DND
which some applet still use it.
needs more work