kio-extras and the KF5/KF6 period

David Redondo kde at david-redondo.de
Wed Jun 7 10:50:38 BST 2023

Am Donnerstag, 25. Mai 2023, 12:51:32 CEST schrieb Nicolas Fella:
> Hi,
>
> Am 17.05.23 um 00:02 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> > kio-extras provides plugins for kio.
> >
> > So KF5 applications want a KF5 kio-extras and KF6 applications want a KF6
> > kio- extras.
>
> This is also the case in more places, e.g. Breeze/Oxygen and
> plasma-integration, so having a unified approach would make sense.
>
> > If we're going to support a period on which we ship both Kf5 and KF6 based
> > applications we need to:
> >
> > Make sure kf5 and kf6 are coinstallable.
> >
> > a) release two tarballs, one for each KF
>
> In some cases, where there is a large enough divergence between the 5
> and 6 code we might want to have separate branches to maintain those
> (e.g. master is Qt6 and we have a qt5-compat branch).

I think plasma-integration is already at that point where it's very hard to
maintain and do something because it's becoming a soup of #ifdefs.
Checking 5 vs. 6 but also checking Qt6 Patch levels which is only going to
become worse in the future. For exmaple if we want to use  QNativeInterface
API which theoretically would  make the code easier to read or dbus menu
support which might end up needing to do different thing depending on the Qt 6
version.

So for plasma-integration I would like to no longer have 5 and 6 support in
master.