Monday meeting notes for 21/8/2023

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 16:11:39 BST 2023

Nico
* Mostly frameworks-y stuff as usual
* Hightlight: a new framwork, kstatusnotifieritem
* I did one big-ish Plasma thing:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1675
* This is beneficial for cases where we have a big listview, like e.g.
in Systemtray
* There we then can use ScrollViewKCM
* https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/3204
* doesn't change yet the cfg_foo magic properties

[discussion about plasmoids config]
[why plasmoid config doesn't really work in kiosk]

Kai Uwe
There’s a session by Volker Hilsheimer planned for Qt Contributor’s
Summit about “Evolving QIcon and theming”:

    Theme support is very much based on the freedesktop spec, which
hasn't moved much since 2006 years. In more recent years, Microsoft
and esp Apple have added rich support for icons to their platforms.
QIcon and the theme-abstraction as it is today doesn't map well to
those capabilities.
    The implementation has improved in the context of QTBUG-102346,
but the design is in general too limited to support multiple system
themes, layered icons with variable properties, and icon coloring and
tinting with palette or hierarchical color support.

(see https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Contributor_Summit_2023_-_Program )

We should make sure to get our requirements in there, too!

KWin:
    Don’t send preferred scale if not determined yet
        QtWayland also assumes scale from wl_output, then inits the
fractional scale interface to 1.0 and then KWin sends it the real
scale
            this leads to a momentary incorrectly scaled frame. Will
look if working with “move resize ouptut” (so we get the pending
state) helps.
    Ported the screenedge KCM from Plasma::FrameSvg to KSvg::FrameSvg,
please review: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/4342
        Now just the screenedge effect is missing and then KWin will
no longer depend on plasma-framework at build time \o/
    Explicitly set Text.PlainText in various labels. Go have a window
or virtual desktop with the name <h1>hello and get funky results
        Stupid AutoText …
    Fixed XDG Positioner code in KWin, now repositions “non-reactive”
popups, too
        e.g. if you move a window while a context menu is open, the
context menu will stick to the window and move around with it
    Replay move window action if window isn’t movable,
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/4332
        Mostly meant to fix tabbox when using Alt as KWin modifier
(since you hold Alt during Alt+Tab and then it conflicts)
        However, also means that trying to move any immovable windows,
like context menus, with Alt/Meta+click will trigger any action that
is under the mouse

Notifications:
    KMessageDialog now uses the correct sound for
“WarningTwoActionCancel” and friends
    Looked into System Settings “module has changed, save?” prompt not
having an icon.
        KMessageDialog does not set an icon by default, must call
setIcon(QIcon()) to get the default warning icon. Feels weird, though.

Qt:
    Fixed a bug where doing model.foo = ... in an Instantiator, which
causes the row to be removed from the model (e.g. proxy model), to
crash
        https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtdeclarative/+/497726
        Fixes KDE Connect (and others, it’s the “resident” flag which
triggers this) notifications crashing Plasma 6
    Fixed a bug in Qt 6.6 / dev which broke method overload resolution
for derived objects, as can be observed by non-reactive SNIs in System
Tray in Plasma 6
        https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtdeclarative/+/497473
        Thanks @isma:kde.org for your help!
    Worked on making Item.grabToImage support high-dpi. Patch itself
is simple, but adjusting all the unit tests is tedious.
        Also probably Qt 6.7 or even 6.8 material given it’s a behavior change.
    Made a patch for Qt’s built-in KDE style to use "breeze-dark" icon
set in dark mode since Qt does not do the colorization KIconLoader
does
        Probably needs a bit of rework to support changing the color
scheme at runtime, which Nico claims it does, but doesn’t work here
    Had a look at fixing blurry fonts with native renderer, found that
the glyph coordinates are rounded, leading to blurriness
        There’s a comment above QSGTextMaskMaterial::popuplate where
it mentions this is for macOS, not sure how to proceed
        https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtdeclarative.git/tree/src/quick/scenegraph/qsgdefaultglyphnode_p.cpp#n455
        I got a few labels that are consistently blurry but I failed
to reproduce it in a minimal example for a bug report yet

Other:
    Breeze style creates icons with explicit device pixel ratio now,
fixes (among other things) blurry button icons in qqc2-desktop-style
with fractional scaling

Joshua
* not much plasma stuff, but I plan on working on something
interesting today now that gear 23.08 has tagged. somewhat related,
you might've seen I've been spamming repositories with new or improved
READMEs :) I already did one for Breeze, but some frameworks really
need it (and some of them are now outdated because of KF6
refactoring). did some drkonqi work again, and fixed a few visual
bugs. /end

[discussion on missing datetime kcm port]

[decision: bite the bullet and do the QML port]

Harald
* drkonqi's previously optional python dependencies are no longer
optional as we are moving towards first class sentry support
* I am wondering if we should maybe vendor them by default so we
always have them?
* this should in the mid term gets us traces with qml stacks into sentry \o/
* talking about: I've tightened the deduplication on sentry; less
duplicates moving forward hopefully

Fushan
Fix some X11-specific problems:
    Breaking change in KWindowSystem, but is necessary to make
fractional scaling work better:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kwindowsystem/-/merge_requests/113
    Correctly set panel struts when using Qt scaling, depending on the
framework change:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/3198
    Correctly report the whole screen size in pager:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1674
    Improve krunner debut time:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/3202
Wallpaper:
    Fix config not being saved:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1670
    Fix random order in slideshow:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/3183
AppChooser:
    Going to merge
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-integration/-/merge_requests/76
if no more suggestion

Arjen
* I'm working on two things, one is continued work on krdp, the other
is doing some of the stuff for Kirigami that was discussed during
Akademy

David E
* I hope everyone has seen:
https://invent.kde.org/teams/frameworks-devs/kf6-workboard/-/issues/55

Ismael
* continued on sound theme integration
* and pushed some MRs to make ocean the new default now that it has
passed kdereview and moved to plasma repos
* wainting for approval/comments on
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/knotifications/-/merge_requests/127

Marco
* restored shelltest -> fixed abunch of actual problems it detected
* mr to remove the old plasma svg ->
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/-/merge_requests/852
* mass porting to Plasmoid attached property in plasma-desktop
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1667