Monday meeting notes for 5/9/2022

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 15:54:08 BST 2022

Nico
* Quite a lot of stuff since the last meeting, not worth listing everything
* There's one thing that's worth mentioning
* I took a stab at globalaccel and fixed some issues there
* And I have pending/WIP patches to fix more stuff
* I wrote up the ideas in
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kglobalaccel/-/issues/3

Eric
* I'm working on logarithmic brightness

Arjen
* most prominent thing I've been working on is proper fractional
scaling support in KWin
* which means adding support for the protocol which is being worked on
in upstream wayland (which was implemented by d_ed)
* and on the rendering side ensuring that we don't render pixels off
the pixel grid
* the latter is what I've been focusing on and which involves a fair
bit of refactoring on the rendering side
* to make sure we can basically write output position = round(window
position * output scale)
* instead of having to go back and forth between logical and device coordinates
* unfortunately I don't think it's going to make it for 5.26 as much
of this doesn't make sense without the wayland protocol which is still
in draft
* anyway, that's it for me

Jonathan
* plasma-bigscreen got added to the next release
* there's some more bits to go with it but I don't think they have
passed kde review
* so reviews needed
* 5.25.5 is out tomorrow!
* we are now in repo freeze and soft feature freeze, so no new big
features please
* 5.26 beta is a week on thursday

Aleix
KWin
    Finished the lockscreen overlay MR work so that the dialer can go
over the lock screen. Maybe we want other things to go over the
lockscreen now?
    Put together a MR to support tablet buttons to keyboard emulation,
since it's apparently it is a must for artists. Approval is still
pending https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1116
Discover
    A bunch of polishing and feature work done in preparation for
5.26: Content Rating, update bigger than free disk space, notification
frequency, licence display, and more
Others
    Been tracking a kscreenlocker crash that only seems to happen on
Plasma Mobile
    Worked with Nate a bit on untangling the startup apps mess and did
some coding work on the welcome app
    Found some unadressed comments in the GlobalShortcuts XDP protocol
that needed addressing and worked on them.
Need a last look and hopefully approve the tablets MR from Nico. I'd
like to get this in for 5.26

Kai Uwe
KWin:
    Ported sharing of keyboard map (among other things) to use
memfd_create instead of QTemporaryFile
    Decoration palette is only created on demand, saves some
resources/cycles when there are no windows with decoration (or
client-side decorations)
    Blur noise texture is only created on demand, saves some
resources/cycles when there are no blurred windows
Plasma:
    Icon applet now disables itself if no backing file is present
(also avoids assert in KPropertiesDialog)
    Use PlainText labels in Kickoff (still need to make a patch for
5.25/5.24 since master didn't apply cleanly)
Notifications:
    No longer uses Root path for "/" (so it doesn't show 500 GiB
internal storage/foo)
plasma-browser-integration:
    Now ignores "non-browser" desktop entries, so p-b-i doesn't
pretend to be a webapp instead of the browser itself
Dolphin/KIO:
    Fixed various places where" user canceled would result in a
pointless error message
    Minor improvement in KFileItemModel
    Show busy indicator while (un)mounting device, please review
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kio/-/merge_requests/962
    Read .hidden file in file:/ worker rather than KCoreDirLister,
saves some blocking calls in UI, needs a bit of rework (API for
ListJob): https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kio/-/merge_requests/962

Fusan
* I am looking forward to supporting custom accent color:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/-/merge_requests/587
If the idea is approved I will start working on the Plasma part.
* I am also looking forward to supporting xml wallpapers in the next
Plasma version

Volker
* Qt 6 porting: making progress on custom shaders (Kirigami MR
awaiting review, KQuickCharts done but blocked by another open MR,
Plasma Frameworks and KWin MRs coming later today).
* One issue beyond that are PC2 components with no equivalent
(ModelContextMenu, ButtonColumn, etc), would appreciate input on how
to proceed with those.
* will need help to see what PC2 components need to be ported to qt6,
what one can be ported away and removed completely

Marco
# KWin
* Continuing on tiling and started to write autotests for it
* bindings for scripting
# QQC2 bug
* investigation in various fallouts from the Qt upstream changes in
QQc2 scrollbars behavior, resulted in reporting a new upstream bug
* https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-106118
* and a workaround on our side in qqc2-desktop-style