Monday meeting notes for 14/11/2022

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:31:56 GMT 2022

Kai Uwe
well, I dont envy everyone who has to deal with that dependency and
packaging stuff, so dont say "just" ;)
Plasma:
    Fixed issue causing audio indicator space stay occupied if it was hidden
Plasma-nm:
    Worked on adding a QR code scanner for connecting to a WiFi
network, https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-nm/-/merge_requests/178
        WIP: needs the actual logic from qrca lifted into a library of sorts
Notifications:
    No longer shows "ago" text for paused jobs
KRunner:
    Add tooltip for main text, too, please look again:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/milou/-/merge_requests/48
Solid:
    Fixed a few bugs regarding the iOS backend, in preparation for:
KIO:
    Finished up the AFC KIO for accessing iOS devices. If you have
one, please give it a try:
https://invent.kde.org/network/kio-extras/-/merge_requests/7

Nico
* Set correct version for kglobalacceld:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kglobalaccel/-/merge_requests/78
* Fix button assignment in X11 wacom KCM:
https://invent.kde.org/system/wacomtablet/-/merge_requests/19
* Deprecate KDeclarative IconItem:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kdeclarative/-/merge_requests/157
* Deprecate some unused stuff in PreviewJob:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kio/-/merge_requests/1047
* Deprecate ThumbCreator and related classes:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kio/-/merge_requests/1044
* Port some thumbnailers to new base class:
https://invent.kde.org/network/kio-extras/-/merge_requests/196
https://invent.kde.org/graphics/kdegraphics-thumbnailers/-/merge_requests/9
* Fix i18n in kdeconnect URL handler:
https://invent.kde.org/network/kdeconnect-kde/-/merge_requests/506
* Add autotest for filter combobox in KFileWidget:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kio/-/merge_requests/1041
* Several refactorings/cleanups in plasma-nm:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-nm/-/merge_requests/176
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-nm/-/merge_requests/175
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-nm/-/merge_requests/174
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-nm/-/merge_requests/173
* Offload openvpn file parsing to networkmanager, hopefully making it
a lot more reliable:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-nm/-/merge_requests/172
* Fix dpr for thumbnails on Windows:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kio/-/merge_requests/1038
* Reload output list in tablet KCM when screens change:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1244
* Fix crash in kwin when setting output for a touchscreen to empty:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/3176
* Fix crash when doing openconnect stuff:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-nm/-/merge_requests/169

Fushan
A11y:
    * In QML, ObjectShow event will be sent whenever a visible item is
initialized, which allows Orca to read Plasma notifications with
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/2295
applied
    * Allow to focus on labels in FormLayout:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kirigami/-/merge_requests/823
    Proposing a SoK idea about improving a11y in KDE applications.
Kleopatra provides a good example. Not sure how deep a SoK idea should
be.
Eco:
    * Unload ListView model when the widget is not expanded:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/2326
which also potentially fixes bug 460895 since there are some
ill-behaved Layouts.

Aleix
Discover
* Gave some more love to the category infrastructure as it had
regressed a bit. All restored and shinier and more featured than ever.
XDP
* As part of the ease of adoption of the different protcols and stuff
on wayland, I took a closer look at RemoteDesktop. Addressed some
usability usage and improved the UI in a couple of places.
* Also fixed resizing dmabuf screencasting streams. Woohoo!
SDDM
* Closed on some topics regarding wayland sessions and keyboard
layouts, which now can be switched in a kde-agnostic way.
Other
* Was at the Ubuntu Summit, it was nice to see some, maybe most
notably seeing how happy Ubuntu Studio folks are with Plasma <3.
More info from @jriddell
https://jriddell.org/2022/11/14/ubuntu-summit-2022-prague/

Jonathan
* I'm working  on Plasma Bigscreen Neon flavour.  I mention this
mostly so I can ask if it should be x11 or wayland?

Marco
* week spent almost completely on multiscreen refactor,
* wired up the x11 protocol coming from KScreen that Ivan did
* more autotests that test more edge cases with more than 2 screens
* while refactoring, found the reason of all that "requesting
unexisting screen" spam
* a part of the fix is here:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/-/merge_requests/648
* the other part in the refactor branch:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/2277