Monday meeting notes for 07/11/2022

Nicolas Fella nicolas.fella at gmx.de
Mon Nov 7 15:54:51 GMT 2022

David E:
nothing

Arjen:
so I'm looking into some kwin performance related things, currently
focusing on activation lag when activating the window view effect from
the taskbar
which has lead me to a deep dive into framesvg and related things in plasma
as qml profiling showed that creating PC3 buttons was taking around 5ms each
I'm collecting a bunch of things in
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/-/merge_requests/645

Xaver:
I did a bunch of work on my Wayland fractional scaling proposal. Seems
to work well with glfw, next step is to implement it for a more complex
client or toolkit, like Qt
I can hopefully complete the screen tearing stuff for Wayland this week
And I've been working on hardware rotation for KWin. amdgpu is horribly
broken with it though, so it might not be going anywhere for a while

Kai:
Did a blog post about some of the performance stuff I did in recent
months: https://blog.broulik.de/2022/11/performance-musings/
Notifications:
Explicitly uncheck paused button, please review
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/2302
Use "0" for null percent, please review
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/2301
KRunner:
Add tooltip for main text, please review
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/milou/-/merge_requests/48
KFileMetadata:
Did a bunch of fixes, improvements, test coverage, etc
Added support for "Flat XML" open document files
Added FictionBook2 extractor
KWin:
Nightcolormanager is less chatty on DBus now
Fixed test failure on FreeBSD with F_SEAL_WRITE
FreeBSD allows mmap with PROT_READ on F_SEAL_WRITE, Linux does not

Vlad:
Made kwin build with -Wno-unused-parameter. It suited the stuff that we
have in kwin, maybe it's also worth using in other plasma projects?
wayland-protocols 1.28 has been released. I would like to land
xwayland-shell-v1 soon-ish, when CI lets us to do so
I did some stuff with fractional geometry, i.e. moved from QRegion to
StrutRects. I also created a patch to use floating point geometry more,
but I would like to have another pair of eyes to check that it's correct
I need a poor soul or two to review my X11Window and OutputBackend patches

Fushan:
Backported a QQuickWidget a11y fix to kde/5.15, so a screen reader can
read text in system settings.
Allow a screen reader to read notifications, second attempt:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/2295
Port yet another DropArea:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1232

Nico:

Fix crash in KWordQuiz:
https://invent.kde.org/education/kwordquiz/-/merge_requests/19
Fix non-global shortcuts appearing in kwin effect config:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/3141
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/3142
Fix i18n in tablet KCM:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1225
Add Touchscreen KCM that allows to configure properties of touchscreen:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1227
Some cleanup/deprecation/renaming in KIO:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kio/-/merge_requests/1020
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kio/-/merge_requests/1021
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kio/-/merge_requests/1022
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kio/-/merge_requests/1023
Fix devices leaking in tablet KCM:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1228
Some more Qt6 porting/cleanup
Deprecate some unused functions in KWindowSystem
Extract X11-specific functions of KWindowSystem into new KX11Extras
class: https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kwindowsystem/-/merge_requests/72