Monday meeting notes for 30/5/2022

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon May 30 15:39:00 BST 2022

Nico
* More xdg-activation fixes this week
* Added support for it to the email xdg portal:
https://github.com/flatpak/xdg-desktop-portal/pull/806
* And raised an issue (pun intended) about MPRIS raise:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mpris/mpris-spec/-/issues/18
* Fixed a regression from earlier work
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwayland-integration/-/merge_requests/23
* And ported the email portal impl to KEmailClientLaucherJob:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/xdg-desktop-portal-kde/-/merge_requests/99
* There's also a patch (not from me) to add activation to the
notification portal Once that is in I'll implement it on our side
https://github.com/flatpak/xdg-desktop-portal/pull/791
[apol: maybe a patch would be easier to act on?]
[nico: Probably. I wasn't sure what the best solution is, hence I made an issue]

Fusan
Panel
    Fix panel keyboard navigation:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/1771
    Fix potentially many visual glitches introduced in panel
refactoring, needs review before 5.25.0:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/956
Wallpaper
    Fix unable to apply wallpaper settings after switching layout:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/964
    Preserve wallpaper type after changing desktop layout:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/1784
    Fix desktop layout setting not being saved (I can't reproduce the
bug on 5.24.5/KF5.94, but can reproduce on master):
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/1783
Kickoff
    Add section view for Kickoff, needs approval:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/941
Porting
    Port to QConcatenateTablesProxyModel for
notificationsAndJobsModel. @kbroulik:kde.org I didn't see a crash, but
maybe I missed something:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/1770
also can https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/1781
be merged to Plasma first to save hidpi x11 users since I don't know
how long will it take to merge the fix in Qt.
[kbroulik: I think that crash was fixed in Qt 5.15.4 but not sure I
guess since master is open again we can merge and see? :D]
[d_ed: it won't affect any normal X11 user as it only applies when
additional envs are enabled]
[d_ed: What I don't want to happen is for us to merge this then not
have the motivation to follow up on the Qt patch, especially if Tor is
pushing for a sightly more in depth solution]
[fusionfuture: but there are reports even without hidpi the bug can
appear After 5.24]

Aleix
did a kpipewire push to make sure things are done when Noah finishes
the spectacle port.
    There's a merge request for Plasma Mobile that adds screen recording
    also created this simple app for screen and window recording,
testing and reporting will be very welcome:
https://invent.kde.org/apol/screenrecord
    In the process of creating a flatpak version of screenrecord, I've
gone down the rabbit hole of a series of problems in our screencasting
stack that I've been addressing
Iterated the shortcuts language spec a bit further:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-specs/-/merge_requests/56
    Did a test app for the curious, feedback welcome too
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/apol/xdg-shortcuts-spec
Did some work to prepare Plasma for Xwayland high dpi support,
adapting some bits when Plasma starts as well as making it possible to
configure through KScreen.
Improved Discover system upgrades process, more work still to be done.
Biggest problem now is users being annoyed about too many updates.

Kai Uwe
KWin:
    Screen edges trigger on fullscreen effects again, i.e. you can
leave overview/windowview the same way you came
    Port screenedge effect to EffectQuickScene, allows to drop the
build-time dep on plasma-framework in KWin effects
        https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/2435
        Apparently high-dpi issue on Wayland, need to investigate
    Killed KWinXRenderUtils, mostly unused after XRender backend was dropped
    Fixed issues running kwin_wayland nested in X11
        KWinXRenderUtils needs to talk to the "host" X server if there
is no XWayland
        Fake Vsync stuff wasn't working, breaking GL rendering
        Now supports resizing the window and syncs the output size to it
        Skips creating a mouse cursor from a null pixmap, it's
pointless and results in console warnings
    KWin's platform plug-in provides a QPlatformNativeInterface now
for maximum compatibility with Qt
        Seems some parts of Qt (notably font stuff) behave quite
differently under Gnome-based desktops, crashing left and right if
there is no native interface provided, but using different codepaths
when run under Plasma.
Plasma:
    Mouse wheel in calendar now does what you think (switches year/decade)
    System Tray popup now fakes "pressed" signal, too, in addition to
"clicked" to ensure applets relying on onPressed to work
KIO:
    Show inline eject button only for removable media,
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kio/-/merge_requests/849
        Got complaints that it shows for internal fstab mounts and
company network shares that aren't supposed to be unmounted
    No longer shows capacity bar for network share bookmarks

Arjen
* I mostly spent my time on writing a unit test for the input method
fallback path in KWin and on improving the unit test for applying
virtual keyboard geometry
* so nothing too visible, though there's a bugfix for keyboard
geometry as well (it was 1 pixel too high)

David E
* I have been working in general on fractional scaling within kwin and
with that support for floating co-ordinates throughout

Marco
# Kirigami
* More work on the ScrollView refactor, still didn't properly
identified the obscure crashes unfortunately, spending time to
identify them. It remains a very suspicious one while unloading the
Users kcm
# Plasma
* did more work on identifying outputs crossplatform, but
unfortunately since screens tend to lie too much with their edid seems
it's a dead end :(
# KWin
* mostly fixing regressions on the new qml effect/realtime gestures
* fixed a problem in the realtime gesture for the aperture effect
* more work on windows dragging between screens in
overview/presentwindows/desktopgrid should be ready to land
* other minor fixes