Monday meeting notes for 14/3/2022

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 15:34:43 GMT 2022

Nate
* Not gonna list what I did cuz it's boring, so instead I'll just poke
people to work in 5.24 regressions. :)
https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=CONFIRMED&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&keywords=regression%2C%20&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=2003087&query_format=advanced&version=5.23.90&version=5.24.0&version=5.24.1&version=5.24.2&version=5.24.3
* that's all from me

Nico
* Some Plasma things to be reviewed:
* https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/1504
* https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/1503

Arjen
* I think the most major thing I worked on last week is to have a way
for kwin to ignore devices when trying to determine whether we are in
tablet mode or not
* my initial approach was using an env var but zzag suggested using
udev tags instead
* see https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/2111
* unfortunately I think fixing the root cause is basically impossible
since you'd not only need to fix libinput/kernel to report the devices
properly, but you also need the devices to report themselves properly
* anyway, other than that I did some smaller things kwin/plasma related
oh and the new keyboard animation in kwin was merged, I wonder how
well that works on plasma mobile

Kai Uwe
(also includes stuff from last week as there was no meeting adjacent
to the Plasma sprint)
KF6 Stuff:
    Removed unused references to KConcatenateRowsProxyModel in Discover
    Ported Kicker to QConcatenateTablesProxyModel
    Did not port notifications yet as I recall there was a bug in the
model which might only have been fixed in Qt 5.15.4
        Might do an ifdef port instead for Qt 6 to unblock build
    Found a bunch of regressions in (lib)ksysguard caused by porting
away form deprecated stuff,
        plug-ins (network and nvidia data source) didn't have a parent
anymore causing crashes
        the filter box is broken in System Monitor because of
setFilterRegularExpression not setting filter fixed string (not sure
if Nico fixed that or we just talked about it)
    Fixed fallout from porting to Plasmoid attached property in
Notifications plasmoid
        Uncovered a few bits that weren't well-engineered :)
Battery Monitor:
    Only shows charge limit for power supply batteries now
Notifications:
    Tooltip now shows basic job info, e.g. "Copying (50%)" instead of
just "1 running job"
    Use popupWidth for thmbnail size, avoids needless re-requsting of
thumbnails, please review
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/1560
Other Plasma:
    Fixed icon KCM icon size popup size, ItemDelegate without a text
seems to be less tall nowadays than when it has text
    Klipper plasmoid now remembers last used barcode type
    Allow non-file "recent documents" in Task Manager, please review
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/551
KWin:
    Fixed a crash in layer rendering on screen resolution change
    KNotifications is now optional
    Dropped some more dependencies
    Now has a dedicated GitLab CI run with minimal build configuration
to catch future changes that will use build-time optional stuff
unconditionally
        Caused some test failures, will follow up on that later this week
Frameworks:
    Add Ctrl+Tab to KPageView (e.g. multi-page KCMs, file properties
dialog), https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/1531
        I recall there having been a massive bikeshed about the fact
that we use this awkward Ctrl+PgDn rather than Ctrl+Tab but I cannot
find it anymore.
        So can we change the default shortcut for NextTab to this?
Ark:
    Sped up Dolphin context menu by caching the check for whether
libarchive was build with Lzo which was super duper slow
    Added a MIME type for ASAR (Electron) archives to shared-mime-info
        Worked on an Ark backend for reading those, can already
extract individual files but unfortunately quite a lot of boilerplate
logic (e.g. overwrite/skip handling) is needed in every plug-in

Jonathan
* we've not had a kickoff meeting
* I assume that's not needed?
* https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Plasma_5  are we sticking to the
5.25 schedule?

David E
* we have GSOC coming
* there's some tasks on the wiki
* as discussed last sprint
* someone was asking about the KCM porting one on here this morning

Marco
* more investigating the popup menus issue under wayland (activating
an item by pressing rmb, going over button, release), what seemed a
minor issue ended up being a combined issue between KWin, Qt and
wayland protocol not being clear, have some patches half ready, needs
to be cleared up at protocol level first (see
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland/-/issues/280)
* looking into realtime gestures for screen edges, to make them
actually look good, results are encoraging and the visual result "it's
gorgeous"(tm)