Latte Dock Farewell

Nicolas Fella nicolas.fella at gmx.de
Sat Jul 30 13:31:10 BST 2022

On 7/27/22 13:14, Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 12:15 PM Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:
>> Michail has announced he's not going to be developing Latte Dock in future
>> https://psifidotos.blogspot.com/2022/07/latte-dock-farewell.html
>> Thanks for all your work Michail!
>>
>> As far as we can tell Latte Dock is a popular Plasma addon.  If anyone is looking for a project to take on this is your chance.
>>
>> Otherwise I expect it'll stop working before too long as it uses various private APIs so we'll need to tell distros to stop shipping it when it does.
> Maybe someone could sit down and see which private APIs are being
> used? then we can make sure it's in the right side of things and it
> keeps working *FOREVER*.
>
> Aleix

I think it could make sense to add Latte to the regular Plasma release,
for the following reasons:

  - It gives us regular releases "for free", which makes sure that
occasional fixes/improvements actually reach users. It would be a shame
if those never see the users because no one feels responsible enough to
make a release

- Having Plasma and Latte in sync helps with the private API problem
since a release of Latte has to only support one Plasma release. See
e.g. the recent KPipeWire topic where Plasma wanted to remove things
Latte uses.