monday meeting notes for 25/7/2022

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 15:35:56 BST 2022

Fusan
* Reduce duplicate code in showdesktop and minimizeall applets:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1043
* Add a11y properties to Plasma applets, most applets in
plasma-desktop and plasma-workspace should be usable with the help of
a screen reader after those MRs are merged.
*   Notification:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/1954
*   Task manager progress bar:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1060
*Two foundation fixes which will greatly improve accessibility for Qt
applications on Linux, and are the prerequisite for The Accessibility
Goal: https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/423439 and
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/423457
* Add ATK_ROLE_PUSH_BUTTON_MENU to Atspi, which should allow a screen
reader to properly react to a button that opens a menu if merged:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/at-spi2-core/-/merge_requests/103
* Question: Is it possible to give menu role to a menu item that has a
submenu in Qt applications?
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/orca/-/issues/257#note_1510181

Nico
* Remove dead code for KCM loading in KInfoCenter:
https://invent.kde.org/system/khelpcenter/-/merge_requests/19
* Make sure that notifications via portals don't have sound by
default: https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/frameworkintegration/-/merge_requests/13
* Fix Yakuake crashing on close:
https://invent.kde.org/utilities/yakuake/-/merge_requests/64
* Fix KMoreTools detecting whether apps are installed:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/knewstuff/-/merge_requests/194
* Fixed several things in the comic applet:
* https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kdeplasma-addons/-/merge_requests/194
* https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kdeplasma-addons/-/merge_requests/195
* https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kdeplasma-addons/-/merge_requests/196
* https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kdeplasma-addons/-/merge_requests/198
* https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kdeplasma-addons/-/merge_requests/199
* https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kdeplasma-addons/-/merge_requests/200
* Remove some dead code:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/1944
* https://invent.kde.org/system/khelpcenter/-/merge_requests/19
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/frameworkintegration/-/merge_requests/13
https://invent.kde.org/utilities/yakuake/-/merge_requests/64
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kdeplasma-addons/-/merge_requests/197
need review

Nate
I have two MRs stuck in review:
*    https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1041
*    https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/1874

Aleix
wayland
* looked at touch on subsurfaces so gtk apps work fine on touch
* finished some discussion over the tablet fitting kcm and it's about
ready to merge
* improved the bouncing cursor feature for Xwayland apps that define
StartupWMClass
* fixed a problem in the XDP screencasting kcm Discover
Discover
* Had a swipe over different bugs reported, most of them already fixed
or in the process. They were generally useful UX annoyances, nothing
major.

David E
* My patches for making kwin support floating point scaling are in -
please do report bugs. Except Kai as I'm fixing yours right now
* it was inevitably going to get some regressions
* The other big topic is trying to write QML unit tests for more things
* I have: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/1914
* it's blocked on Nate having issues running the tests
* which I don't understand

Kai Uwe
Plasma-pa:
    Show indicator when app starts using a muted microphone so you
don't forget, https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-pa/-/merge_requests/128
        I will add a setting to it since we also have settings for all
the other OSD stuff
Breeze style:
    Fixed menu width with long section headers (bigger section font
wasn't taken into account)
Notifications:
    When no thumbnail available (rare), drag pixmap is now file icon
    KMessageDialog (async variant of KMessageBox) now also emits
notification sounds
Screenlocker:
    Add "busy" property to authenticator so we can provide some
feedback when unlocking takes a while, please review
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kscreenlocker/-/merge_requests/68
Other:
    SFTP KIO now lets you continue after a warning when host identity
has changed rather than flat out refusing to connect
    Various bits of the UI (Dolphin's tab bar, qqc2-desktop-style) now
use the correct QHeaderView font (since Breeze uses a smaller font for
column headers now)
that screenlocker patch is working marvellously both on normal setup
and ldap login stuff
needs a change to p-w lnf to add a busy indicator, o/c

Marco
KWin
* bugfix https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/2680
which is still not ready
Spectacle
* Continuing on the annotation component, most tools and export pretty
much done, plan to wind down with it starting next week to dedicate a
bit more to kwin again