Monday meeting notes for 18/7/2022

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 15:32:58 BST 2022

Aleix
* spent some time testing plasma wayland on a nvidia card david gave
me. I originally asked him for testing screen recording and that
worked alright (all things considered), still quite disappointed by
the state about the state overall. I am not entirely sure it's our
fault as other DEs have similar problems so it's hard to judge. It's
clear that their driver behaves different to mesa drivers anyway. I am
back on amd because it hurt productivity too much.
* I did work on supporting the keysym method from the RemoteDesktop
portal, stuck in reviews:
    https://invent.kde.org/libraries/plasma-wayland-protocols/-/merge_requests/43
    https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/2584
    https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kwayland/-/merge_requests/67
    https://invent.kde.org/network/kdeconnect-kde/-/merge_requests/480
* I did work on supporting the mapping of drawing tablets to outputs,
stuck in reviews:
    https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/2627
    https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1025
* Worked with Aditya a bit towards polishing the remote controllers KCM
* I am looking now at xdg activation + x11 apps which doesn't seem to
work that well

Nico
* Not much Plasma this week
* Mostly porting apps away from deprecated stuff
* Last weekend I was at a KDE eco sprint
* One of the tools we use there for measurement automation is xdotool
* To be able to do that on wayland I've been looking into making a
similar tool that uses the fake input protocol
* So apol's work is welcome there :)

Xaver
* I've been looking into supporting color management in KWin
* getting the basics to work is relatively easy, hope to have some MRs
for that soon. The tricky bits will be ensuring accuracy and hardware
offloading

Marco
# Kirigami
* Merged the long-due scrollablepage refactor
# Spectacle
* passed most week on the annotation editor of spectacle: annotations
possible directly on top of the fullscreen rectangle selection
* it was basically implementing Paint from scratch which is just long
but a well-known well researched topic, so during this week was almost
completed
* is just basic shapes/text on the image with undo/redo support
* hopefully that could be made to replace kquickimageeditor some day
(or merged into), so usable in koko and what not
* kquickimageeditor was looked into, but its architecture was
completely unsuitable (undo/redo steps with a complete image copy of
each step)

Kai Uwe
Notifications:
* Job aggregator ignores stopped jobs now as it should
Plasma:
* Show microphone OSD as reminder when app starts using muted
microphone, idea
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-pa/-/merge_requests/128
Solid:
* Removed pointles QDBusInterface, sped up Dolphin startup by 50ms on my machine
* Ported some QDom stuff to QXmlStreamReader, saves another couple of
milliseconds
KRunner:
* Now reuses items in ListView, should make it snappier
* In general I have a bunch of reviews open on GitLab that haven't
seen any activity, please review :(
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-pa/-/merge_requests/128
https://invent.kde.org/system/dolphin/-/merge_requests/424
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/qqc2-desktop-style/-/merge_requests/168