Monday Meeting notes for 10/1/2022

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 11:23:36 GMT 2022

MartinR
* Picking up a question from Jonathan Esk-Riddell : how do dev's feel about
making 5.24 an LTS release? There's interest from Kubuntu and Opensuse
(potentially)

[ahiemstra] didn't we conclude last time it didn't really make sense to do an
lts until the last plasma 5 release?

[kbroulik] I am kinda inclined to want a new LTS but on the other hand 5.24 is
coming out soon™ and we havent really done the usual LTS polish and imho
there#s quite a bunch of bugs in 5.24 right now introduced recently
[notmart] maybe 5.25?

* Topic for mailinglist: LTS? When? 5.24? 5.25?

Kai Uwe
    Worked on porting Dolphin back to using KFilePlacesView and dropping its
custom places view code:
        Just over 4,000 lines of code removed: https://blog.broulik.de/
2022/01/reunited-after-a-decade/
        API additions made to KFilePlacesView (refactored menu, custom
teardown handling, redesigned context menu, etc) have been merged
        Dolphin MR is still pending, but mostly because I'm waiting for CI to
catch up, please test: https://invent.kde.org/system/dolphin/-/merge_requests/
309
    Now looking after various bugs and glitches unearthed by this port as well
as some feature work:
        Add inline eject button (always feels great to close bug reports in
the 1xx range :), please review: https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kio/-/
merge_requests/697
        Don't highlight delegates when hovering the section header, needs some
more work (Qt is too clever an doesn't repaint)
        Don't hide all places when clicking one, please review: https://
invent.kde.org/frameworks/kio/-/merge_requests/699
        Free space bar, will probably port away from KCapacityBar on hover to
a permanent, custom painted rectangle like in Dolphin (MR tbd)
        Tweak the spacing, please have a look: https://invent.kde.org/
frameworks/kio/-/merge_requests/701
Solid:
    Now checks Bluteooth battery for any not recognized battery type rather
than just explicit "unknown"
        This way we will at least recognize new UPower types (e.g. "headset")
as Battery
    Now ignores partitions with x-gdu.hide option
Notifications:
    Tried to investigate notification popup size glitch, haven't found
anything yet, suspecting the reworked critical notification bar thing…
Other:
    Component chooser is now able to configure the default handler for tel:/
URLs, e.g. whether those should be sent to your phone through KDE Connect or
called in some dialer app
    Use file name in archive rather than /tmp/ark... in Ark previewer:
https://invent.kde.org/utilities/ark/-/merge_requests/91
Regressions:
    My sddm-greeter crashes (SIGTERM) when I type a wrong password on the
login prompt for the past few weeks.
    Plasma crashes when (un)plugging HDMI as a result of that "destroy method
on containment view"
    Battery monitor switching compact rep for battery vs brightness mode
doesn't work
        and would lose features such as mouse wheel for battery change

Marco:
* very little, just back from vacations
* merged fixes for multi monitor: less plasma crashes (the hdmi unplug issue)
and now we don't have anymore a containment-less situation after disconnecting
everything and reconnecting (which only a plasma restart can solve)

--
Marco Martin