moday meeting notes for 11/4/2022

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 16:05:40 BST 2022

Alex
* I have been doing mostly plasma-frameworks work regarding some KF6 stuff
* The KPluginSelector QML component can hopefully be fnished this week
(thanks to Nate for helping me with the QML parts)
* The KWin port is close to finished
[kbroulik: can it do sophisticated mutually exclusive options?]
[alex: not yet, eventually]
* I would appreciate feedback on
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kdeplasma-addons/-/merge_requests/127#note_419403
on how to handle the different release cycle. (Feel free to give it a
look after this meeting, nothing that needs to block the chat for
now). Next, please :)

Nico
* Not much Plasma-y from me
* I've been mostly working on Windows and Android stuff
* Rolling out Gitlab CI for Windows and fixing some fallout
* And working on a new Android CI image
* Besides that I caught up on some older MRs from me
next
[Alex: I will give the KParts related stuff a review]

Kai Uwe
* some kwin build system stuff
* fix dropping files from Ark into Places panel (will finish that tonight)

David E
* I have been working on revisiting wayland scaling
* That's been both fractional scaling in Qt with some negotiation,
trying some different approaches to see what actually works best with
a lot of clients
* I've also got a POC way of having xwayland clients not get resized
without external changes
* that gives us some user control
* https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/issues/86 has more details
* there's lot of upstream threads
* Also - I started a thread this morning on the ML
* we have a path to make unit tests mandatory to pass on CI before a
merge is allowed
* We have a lot of broken tests
* I feel if we just toggle the switch it'll cause some disruption, but
maybe pay off long term
[discussion seem to agree]
* Just had a thought. If I go yolo mr MR to enable the tests will fail
if there's a consistent problem in the tests - so it won't break
everything on day 1
* last but not least - I did a cool minor visual thing:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/-/merge_requests/499
I see it all the time when I connect N bluetooth devices and it annoys
me, so I'm pleased with this solution.

Arjen
* main thing I've been working on is supporting layershell for virtual
keyboard panels, so we can change maliit to use layershell and that
way get improved resize behaviour
* there isn't much to show yet since it's been rather tricky to get
working correctly

Fabian
* After the 5.24 release I saw several reports about settings getting
"lost" after rebooting, is there anything known about that?
* Apparently multi-monitor support "became worse" with 5.24 for some
reason, with various different issues
* I wonder what caused that, probably not a single change
* Having that (possibly) fixed only in 5.25 is a bit annoying
* Third question, originally reported by fusionfuture who hit
https://libera.ems.host/_matrix/media/r0/download/kde.org/55521ca8b05eca05db0496a4e4d9a2577e024e7d/%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%87.png
* It started very recently, I can reproduce locally
* Happens sometimes, but of course neither in plasmawindowed or plasmoidviewer
* Any changes in kirigami/qqc2-desktop-style/p-f/... which might've caused this?
* There are some "implicitBackgroundWidth is not defined" warnings in
plasmaextras/ListItem.qml, but they aren't new at least

Marco
* adapted to master Vlad's appview effect
* investigating crashes on x11 and multimonitor, merged a part
* more work on touchpad gestures for overview, merged
* started ateempt to have cross fade again in scripted effects, so far
only frustration :/