monday meeting notes for 6/9/2021

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 11:50:21 BST 2021

# Arjen
* I did a few kirigami things last week to improve startup performance
* biggest change there being switching a whole bunch of loaders to async
* which improved startup for my koko testcase by ~500ms which was
rather significant
* other than kirigami, I merged two bigger mrs for quick charts, which
change how line and bar charts are rendered so they can be batched by
the scene graph, which should improve performance

# David E
* We are now in soft feature freeze
* which is exciting
* We have a big backlog of reviews
* I've been trying to spend my evenings going through them
* There's a lot that have been abandoned by authors, so I'm making
heavy use of the "needs changes" tag
* and then doing searches based on that
* One potential issue is the new kwin "frost effect"
* we merged in all the surrounding infrastrcuture and API for it to
land this release, but it doesn't seem to have happened yet
* as that's quite a large change I would rather that happened sooner than later
* I also have a large kwin change I want to get in that's a bit of a
large refactor and potentially breaks the idea of the soft freeze, but
it's to fix a bug, so I'll ask for an exception on plasma-devel
* it's rewriting a bunch of D&D code to be much more sane
[discussion
d_ed -> Bhushan Shah: as you're here, what's the status of
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/147
Bhushan Shah -> d_ed: I'll try to follow up by this week (it won't get
in 5.23 anyway but let's try to move that review somewhat) ]
* Has anyone spoke to promo about release announcements?
* If not I'll give them a "heads up"

# Bhushan
* So I discussed this earlier as well, but one specific change I am
interested in for soft-freeze exception is formats KCM QML port
* I believe MR is now complete from hanyoung side
* Main reason for that is,  without it some locale variables can not
be configured on plasma mobile
and those locale variables are used for detecting phone number format e.g. etc.
* will write to plasma-devel about that
* Second topic, is modemmanager port we have in plasma-nm and
plasma-phone-components, we will merge it close to beta most likely
since it needs to sync up with other components as well (out of plasma
release schedule), it does not affect anything in desktop space
* main reason being it needs sync with other components as well
(dialer,spacebar)
    https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-phone-components/-/merge_requests/176
    https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-nm/-/merge_requests/33
* I will discuss with Nico and Devin later today and depending on
discussion will send email to plasma-devel thread about both formats
kcm and broadband one

# Nico
* A while ago I asked distros whether we can use C++20 in Plasma
* And no objections were raised
* So I started porting some of the async DBus stuff in plasma-nm to
use coroutines
* Since the combination of clang + libstdc++ + coroutines currently is broken
* The problem is we don't know when clang will fix that
* either wait or force Openmandriva to use gcc for now for plasma
* need to reach and say "we want to do this for this time, can you
find a way to make it work"