Regression in application launchers' "type to search"

Andrew Shevchenko chuvik.hacker at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 02:14:25 GMT 2021

I'm used to "Application Dashboard" (A fullscreen application launcher), as
of KDE Plasma Version 5.23.3 the issue is present in "Application Launcher"
and "Application Menu" as well.

The issue
Search results now take too long to present the final result, showing
incomplete intermediate options for multiple frames, thus slowing down
usually "as-fast-as-I-can-type" process of starting an app.
Let me elaborate. Here is how my final search results look like for typing
in "te"  https://i.imgur.com/WngbBGm.png and here is how it looks right as
I type it https://i.imgur.com/fP4RaDF.jpg
Guys, I really don't need to start "About this system" nearly as often as I
want Telegram.

The experience used to be way better. IIRC either "System Settings" wasn't
their own category like this, or the apps I searched for were always ranked
correctly the first time around.

Possible solutions:
1. Never show incomplete results. I'm better off pressing enter and not
starting anything rather than starting the wrong app, waiting for it to
show up, and realizing I'm punished for typing too fast.
2. Option to disable useless search places that slow down the matching.
This way I can toggle everything but actual apps off.
3. Actually improve the performance to match human speed. I'm firmly
confident it's entirely possible to match a substring in under 8ms and
react to the Enter key in time. Remember: you don't need to show me any
icons or additional info, just match and act on it, Lazy load every eye
candy if you so desire.

Another running issue I have with plasma in general is not being able to
identify component names. There is barely any UI to tell what my
application launcher is actually called behind the scenes. Because search
slowness is something I could experience in every launcher including the
default ones, I'm mailing to all three addresses I could find linked in
launchers' "about" tab.

Feel free to respond with any questions. I'm more than willing to
contribute more time and improve the experience.
--

I hate unfinished sentences! It's just like...

Andrew S