Can we remove or quiet down the commit bot in the chatrooms

Carl Schwan carl at carlschwan.eu
Wed May 19 19:48:30 BST 2021

Le mercredi, mai 19, 2021 8:37 PM, Nate Graham <nate at kde.org> a écrit :

> I find it rather difficult to use #plasma for chats and discussions
> because of the near-constant spam from the commit announcement bot.
>
> It's not that it's useless to have commits announced, but when it
> happens in a room where humans are interacting, it's rather disruptive
> and spammy. Maybe we could move the bot into a dedicated commit announce
> room so that the people who care about this can still see the
> announcements there?

I did something similar in kde-www and ihmo this is so much better
experience.

> Alternatively could we change the bot so that it sends one message for
> each commit instead of like 4 or 5?

Another alternative would be to switch from skreamer for commit notification
to the Matrix gitlab bot[1]. This provides the improvement of sending
notifications as notices in Matrix so that Matrix clients don't create
notifications for these type of messages and also display the events using
a lighter color. This would also notify us about new MR (but I guess this
is configurable if not desirable).

Carl

[1]: https://github.com/maubot/gitlab