plasma_install_package vs plasma_install_bundled_package

Alexander Lohnau alexander.lohnau at gmx.de
Thu Jul 29 14:50:14 BST 2021

Hi,

in https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kpackage/-/blob/master/
KF5PackageMacros.cmake#L109[1] there is the a JSON file created.

The initial discussion about this function was in https://phabricator.kde.org/D9197[2]. In
https://phabricator.kde.org/D19383[3] the topic was also discussed, but without getting a
conclusion.

There only being two users in all these years might be a sign that we don't really need it,
especially since in the initial patch description it was stated that it is experimental :)

Regards
Alex

On Thursday, July 29, 2021 2:29:01 PM CEST Nicolas Fella wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in
> https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/-/blob/master/KF5PlasmaMa
> cros.cmake#L12 we recommend using plasma_install_bundled_package over
> plasma_install_package.
>
> However in practice we always use the latter, except for plasma-pa and
> plasma-nm.
>
> I stumbled across this because the bundled version does not seem to
> create a metadata.json from the metadata.desktop like the other macro
> does. That means that the desktop file needs to be converted to json at
> runtime which comes with a significant performance overhead when loading
> a plasmoid.
>
> Now I'm wondering whether we should fix plasma_install_bundled_package
> or port the two users away from it and abandon it.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers
>
> Nico

--------