plasma-wayland-protocols, kwayland, kwayland-server, and kwin have to recompiled

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Aug 27 07:45:32 BST 2021

On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 6:10 PM Vlad Zahorodnii <vlad.zahorodnii at kde.org>
wrote:

> On 8/26/21 9:58 PM, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 9:58 PM Vlad Zahorodnii <vlad.zahorodnii at kde.org
> > <mailto:vlad.zahorodnii at kde.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi,
> >

> > Hi Vlad,
> >

> >     I've just merged a patch that tweaks some protocol additions in the
> >     plasma window management protocol that were made this month and
> haven't
> >     been released yet.
> >
> >     Even though that change won't affect users running stable version of
> >     plasma, it may cause issues on developer machines.
> >
> >     If you experience startup issues with plasma on wayland, in
> particular
> >     plasma not starting at all, please recompile the following projects:
> >
> >     * plasma-wayland-protocols
> >     * kwayland
> >     * kwayland-server
> >     * kwin
> >     * plasma-workspace
> >

> > I'm afraid the CI system may disagree with you regarding the impact on
> > stable branches, please see
> > https://build.kde.org/view/Failing/job/Plasma/job/kwayland/
> > <https://build.kde.org/view/Failing/job/Plasma/job/kwayland/>
> > These breakages look to be related to plasma-wayland-protocols.
> >
> > I also note that these changes caused substantial disruption to the CI
> > system requiring multiple Dependency Builds to be run to correct the
> > issue and restore normal service.
> >
> > As plasma-wayland-protocols is not part of either Frameworks or Plasma,
> > please ensure necessary changes to it are landed well in advance of
> > starting to use them - rather than all at the same time.
>
> The issue is that Frameworks and Plasma builds break even if
> plasma-wayland-protocols changes land in advance.

You have to land changes a week in advance for the Dependency Builds to
pick them up on their normal cadence.
Depending on timing you may be able to land them earlier, but there is no
guarantee as the builds are run on a staggered basis by Jenkins.

That brings the disruption caused by this to 6 Dependency Builds (two for
Frameworks, four for Plasma)

Please note you also have to arrange for a release of
plasma-wayland-protocols as that is part of Extragear.
This needs to be done before the next Frameworks release.

> >     Sorry for the inconvenience,
> >     Vlad
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Ben