D29028: feat(wayland): add Wrapland plugin

Roman Gilg noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Apr 22 13:40:29 BST 2020

romangg added a comment.

  In D29028#654542 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D29028#654542>, @davidedmundson wrote:

  > A new dependency also needs to actually solve an actual problem.
  >
  > If we say we should support wl_roots' protocol for wlroots users. Fair enough. There are some parts of Plasma used by 3rd parties.
  >  I'd certainly be very happy for us both to switch to a new standard given they're upstreaming some stuff currently.
  >
  > But we then have to answer the technical question of why does that require a library with a different implementation of ConnectionThread/Registry and every client protocol in order to do so? Compared to using one technology throughout. Otherwise you're not really solving the original problem of having it available to users.

  For wlroots I have done in Wrapland a quick protocol implementation in two or three days. I have not done much testing and hope for more data from first use cases in the future to iterate it. Since KWayland is API/ABI-stable that won't be possible there. When at some point the implementation has become well tested why not copy-paste it too KWayland?

  But this is not only about support for the wlroots protocol. In Wrapland I have rewritten KWayland's org_kde_kwin_outputdevice <https://cgit.kde.org/kwayland.git/tree/src/client/protocols/outputdevice.xml> protocol as kwinft_output_device_unstable_v1 <https://gitlab.com/kwinft/wrapland/-/blob/e623d28af045083dc7c02edfa77c45477275b26d/src/client/protocols/kwinft-output-device-unstable-v1.xml>. It is mostly the same but I cleaned up some stuff, used semantics as it is standard nowadays and replaced the scale factor with a new way of defining the logical size of an output (basically D26311 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D26311>). So for libkscreen to work with KWinFT it needs to support this protocol. And I assume it isn't something that should go into KWayland. For API/ABI reasons again and because it already has one protocol, even if it's sub-optimal nowadays.

  Of course when the protocol is stabilized and shows its merit it can always go into KWayland or whatever KDE Framework there will be in the future. Or we go for a common protocol with wlroots. I talked with Simon some time ago about their protocol and they have a mechanism with custom modes, but I find defining the logical size better. But I might be wrong on that and the kwinft_output_device_unstable_v1 protocol will tell me so in the future

REPOSITORY
  R110 KScreen Library