D19392: shannon entropy to guess monochrome icon

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Feb 28 14:17:55 GMT 2019

ngraham added subscribers: VDG, ndavis, GB_2, ngraham.
ngraham added a comment.

  In D19392#421900 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D19392#421900>, @mart wrote:

  > In D19392#421881 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D19392#421881>, @davidedmundson wrote:
  >
  > > > so, we colorize monochrome icons treating them as just masks, and that works ok, tough there isn't any spec to know with 100% certainty if an icon is monochrome or colored (all icon names that end up with -symbolys usually are monochrome, but in breeze and other themes monochrome icons are all over the place and often it depends from the icon size)
  > >
  > > For breeze there's an alternate approach. We "just" add "-symbolic" symlinks in everywhere. We could even use this code to automate doing that. That would cover the android case.
  >

  > not really, one would still have to use the -symbolic name instead of the real one for every icon.. and only in android, which wouldn't be cross platform, so no.

  Actually we're discussing in VDG-land whether or not this is something we should do anyway, because right now we have no way of forcing the use of a monochrome icon for a >22px size when a larger colorful version exists. Using `-symbolic` to suffix the monochrome versions would allow us to do this. Adding some VDG folks for comment.

REPOSITORY
  R169 Kirigami