D17217: Implement free memory notifier

Krešimir Čohar noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Feb 15 16:44:09 GMT 2019

rooty added a comment.

  Let me just say that I realize that this is pretty niche, but I would find it extremely useful and a lot of thought and care seem to have gone into this, hence +1.

  In D17217#412888 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D17217#412888>, @ngraham wrote:

  > In D17217#412463 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D17217#412463>, @rooty wrote:
  >
  > > have OOM problems
  >

  > In D17217#412463 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D17217#412463>, @rooty wrote:
  >
  > > dislike swap space
  >

  > Erm, I think I may have found your problem. :)

  Different strokes.

  Other reasons too, including the fact that most users nowadays have so much RAM that swap can be done away (if you don't use sleep/hibernate that is? I don't know how that works though).
  It would just be nice not to have to think about this stuff and have my computer help me out.

  > I still think this should be something that we don't ship or have on by default. It seems to be catering to extremely niche, nerdy use cases. Not that there's anything wrong with this! But these kinds of messages about the internal state of the system are not appropriate to show a to more casual users, who rightfully expect the system to take care of things like this by itself.

  I'm not suggesting it be shipped as a default setting, and I'd be okay with downloading it from the KDE Store, but we do already have niche widgets in Plasma (Binary Clock? Fuzzy Clock? Comic Strip, Color Picker...), so I don't think that's a reason not to include it.
  The niche thing doesn't seem like a good reason either - Hard Disk usage, Hard Disk IO monitor etc. can all seem niche depending on your point of view. And we have tons of those.