D18961: [WIP] [weather] Migrate nativeInterface config to plasmoid.configuration.*

Chris Holland noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Feb 12 18:34:49 GMT 2019

Zren added a comment.

  In D18961#410792 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18961#410792>, @kossebau wrote:

  > > we no longer have to install the widget to .../share/plasma/plasmoids/
  >
  > No experience here, but do we not still need to install the QML extension plugins to have the applet working? Or is there some mechanism to load them also from the build dir now?

  - We still need the private QML plugin for the `Util.___` functions yes, but you don't need to reinstall those if you only touched the QML.
  - `plasmoidviewer -a package` does not populate `plasmoid.nativeInterface`, so any code touching the `nativeInterface` config (all of it) doesn't work when you use that to test. I'm not 100% sure why the relative path isn't loading the `nativeInterface` even though the metadata `X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name` should be the same. I'll need to dive into `plasmoidviewer`'s code.
  - After the patch, we only need the `nativeInterface` to migrate the code. If it doesn't load the `nativeInterface`, plasma uses a placeholder `QObject {}`, which skips the migration code.

  In D18961#410784 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18961#410784>, @kossebau wrote:

  > Though it breaks my technically-perfect-solution-aiming engineer's heart :)
  >  please be prepared for some 2 weeks time needed on my side to get over this :)

  lol, take your time. This is for the Plasma 5.16/5.17 release cycle so we've ages to choose this or develop a different patch.

  So long as the migration code is in Ubuntu 20.04, and Debian 11 (Bullseye) in 2021. We can take it out before 22.04 or Debian 12 (Bookworm) in 2023. Anyone jumping 2 LTS versions usually expects some hiccups when upgrading.

  Note: kicker used a similar migration method (QML onCompleted) to port their `plasmoid.configuration.favorites` => SQLiteDB.
  https://github.com/KDE/plasma-desktop/blob/master/applets/kicker/package/contents/ui/main.qml#L115

REPOSITORY
  R114 Plasma Addons