D18621: Add again a button to manually scan for wireless networks

Valerio Pilo noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Feb 1 00:09:52 GMT 2019

vpilo added a comment.

  Let me be clear here - I don't really care about having this change merged, or having to rewrite it into something wholly different. I just want everyone to have their list of wifi networks to be up to date //when they need it//, that is, //when the nm applet is open//.
  If it means I have to instead go pester NetworkManager people for a configurable timeout or such, so be it - I just want to have a discussion to have a result that works.

  That said, I think @jgrulich 's comment reliability doesn't hold much water, as we cannot really make it 'reliable': for now we can just spam NM with scan commands until we get a success.
  We have a basic issue (the hard 10s timeout in NM) and there's nothing that anyone in KDE can do about it, save patching NM itself. So can we talk about its mitigation for now? Maybe not a button, maybe constantly trying to request scans until we get a positive answer? Anything will be better than having to stare for fifteen plus seconds at the nm applet until my damn tethering network finally appears in the applet and I can send my email.

  I'll see about asking the NM devs about why is it so incredibly long and if it can be made configurable.

REPOSITORY
  R116 Plasma Network Management Applet