D8232: Add option to center shadow

Julian Wolff noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Oct 14 17:15:07 UTC 2017

progwolff added a comment.

  I am on Michail's side.

  Having the shadow falling at the bottom right feels more natural to me. I also like the sharper edge at the left. Makes the overall look of the desktop a little cleaner.
  Actually, the clean look of breeze was the main reason why I finally switched to Linux. I tried Gnome and KDE4 before and was not satisfied by the overall look and feel, so I stayed with MS Windows. Breeze changed this.

  In my opinion, a decent shadow at the bottom right is enough to seperate application windows from each other.

  I however can understand that this is depending on personal preference. And by this I am against centering the shadow without an option.
  Either do this optionally (we already have several options here, another one won't hurt that much), or slightly reduce the offset like Michail proposed.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D8232#155278, @hpereiradacosta wrote:

  > 1/ this is a decision VDG should make

  Totally aggree. If the falling shadow was a concious choice, then the reasons for this decision should be discussed here. Are they documented somewhere?

  > 3/ I don't think this should be an option. The change is too small (and implies too much code complexity, once 2/ is fullifille) for being controled by an option

  I think you might underestimate the impact of this change. The overall feel of the system will change with this.
  Also, I am not sure if it is really that complex to have an option for centering the shadows.

  > On the other hand we must then be prepared to people complaining when the change is introduced, and have a good story for justifying the change (rather than just : because I think it looks better).

  Definitely. And thus it would be great if we could find some reasons why

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze