Customizing KDE

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 12:07:47 UTC 2016

On Wednesday 29 June 2016 15:19:40 Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to setup some defaults for all users (at package level),
> including some customizations:
>
> 1. Setup default theme
> 2. Setup default wallpaper
> 3. Set custom menu icon (application launcher?)
> 4. Set default menu style to "Application Menu"
> 5. Remove section "Places" from "Computer" tab, or even remove
> "Computer" tab completely in Application Launcher

this  may be something for kiosk?

> 6. Remove "New Session" feature (from all the places: menu, screen
> locker, etc)

also this may be supported by kiosk?

> 7. Place some applications as "Favorites" by default
> 8. Remove "device notifier" and some other applets

Hi,
I think all of this can be done by providing a custom "look and feel" package,
with a layout.js script. Even if the details of it are not complete yet,
should already be possible to set the theme, plasma and widgets, wallpaper,
and menu icon

Like
https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=plasma-workspace.git&a=tree&h=39b9af963eeb5ecea0a00c23280bef20aeeec840&hb=312f1e250202f705b8a216b86a4c320ec33b16a9&f=lookandfeel

(discarding all the subdirectories containing qml files)

> Any idea how to do (any of) that? Preferably without patching existing
> programs (but if no other option - this will also do).
>
> I've tried using scripts:
> https://userbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/PlasmaTwoDesktopScripting
> but failed. For example I see no way to remove
> entries/applets/plasmoids. Also debugging is quite painful, because I

on first startup when the layout.js gets executed you don't have to remove
plasmoids: you have an empty setup in which you only add what you need.

> have no idea where to looks for logs (like what entry was loaded, what
> was ignored at all etc), I can only guess looking at the result. And
> frequently wondering why my script wasn't launched at all...

in order to do tests, is convenient to use the interactive scripting console
by launching

qdbus org.kde.plasmashell /PlasmaShell showInteractiveConsole

even tough it will be a slightly different situation as you have a complete
setup already.

(in order to make this sort of things easier i'm making a tool that will
create a look and feel package based on the current plasma layout, but will be
available from 5.8)

--
Marco Martin