QScreen vs. KScreen in plasmashell

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 09:22:59 UTC 2014

On Friday 24 October 2014 09:58:39 Daniel Vratil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the current state of multi-monitor support in Plasma 5 is rather bad as both
> Plasma 5 and KWin keep crashing every time there's any change (+ the
> desktop is extremely sluggish for about 15 seconds after that). Many
> colleagues in my office would love to switch to Plasma 5 already, but this
> is one of the major blockers that scares most people away, so it needs to
> be fixed.
>
> I was looking into plasmashell code to fix it (and also for a different
> reason, more on that later) and realized that the code is mixing use of
> KScreen and QScreen, and I couldn't resist asking myself why. QScreen
> provides subset of information that KScreen and all I can see in the code
> is just endless conversion between QScreen and respective KScreen::Output
> and hoping they both behave the same. Would it make sense to get rid of
> QScreen completely and use KScreen exclusively? I think it would solve most
> of the crashes I'm currently getting. I'm of course volunteering to do all

I don't think is 100% possible, in too many places tere is the assumption that
window->screen() is actually the proper qscreen, (no not count inside the
qquickwindows in qt as well, that would be impossible to change, such as the
recent issue in Qt 5.3 of panels migrating screen spontaneously,
https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/97050/) so it wouldn't help.

what i would really love instead, is to have QScreen fixed enough to actually
not use kscreen at all.

--
Marco Martin