Minimum translation percentage for Plasma 5 releases (second take)

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Wed Aug 13 20:57:16 UTC 2014

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> [...] The two extremes are:
>>
>> 1) Translation is there strictly to help out users who have poor to no
>> knowledge of the source language (English). [...]
>>
>> 2) Translation is there as a stylistic matter of preference of one's
>> native language. [...]
>>
>> So, I agree with the proposal that if thresholds are there, they should
>> be controllable by the teams.
>
> [: Albert Astals Cid :]
> I disagree. Why are the teams responsible to decide if i am in 1) or 2) ?
>
> My suggestion about the warning to the user warning dialog moves this
> resposability to were it belongs, the user.

In principle, if the user could be well informed, and be provided to decide,
sure why not. But in practice such information would be compiled based on a
small subset of all catalogs (e.g. the Plasma stuff). It wouldn't reflect,
say, translation state of KMail. Also, this includes the language KCM, while
I was thinking of a case where the user picks up a (glibc) locale in the
login manager and that's it.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)