Switches around the world and broken metaphors [Was: Battery Monitor revamp]

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun May 26 16:35:20 UTC 2013

On Sunday 26 May 2013 18:07:14 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:

> > > And I would completely fail to use the switch. I have huge problems
> > > understanding those switches and I have not seen any implementation of
> > > the
> > > switch where I got which one is on and which one is off.
> >
> > that's for me as well.
> > I have to spend a second or more every time to figure/remember if the "on"
> > that is written on the switch (or being colored vs greyed, same thing)
> > means "it's on now" or "it's an action, so it's telling me it becomes on
> > if i click on it"
>
> Well actually, there is an easy way to make it absolutely clear which is
> which, although it takes lots of horizontal space and probably looks very
> ugly if you have many switches in the same UI: Just add text labels on each
> side, _next to_ the button, not inside of it. E.g. "OFF" or "O" on the left
> side, "ON" or "I" on the right side. That makes things perfectly clear.
Yes, it does. That clearly would work for me. As I mentioned in one of the
replies if I see both states with a label, I am able to recognize what means
on and what means off. As mentioned I found exactly one switch similar to the
touch switches in my flat and it has distinct labels and I never failed to use
that one ;-)
> So if ambiguity is the only reason against using switches on Desktop, we
> should use them.
At least for me there is another reason: given the way how the switch
component is designed (again no matter which one) I am inclined to drag it
from left to right. I don't try to click, I have to drag. There is no visual
hint that clicking would adjust the state. It doesn't look like a clickable
button. This makes the component really difficult to use. While on a touch
screen it's much easier to use than a check box.

Now I could learn to click (so far I failed to do so), but I can think of many
people who would no longer be able to learn this.

Cheers
Martin