Reshuffling startup to start activity manager after ksmserver

Simon Persson simonpersson1 at gmail.com
Sun May 26 04:24:17 UTC 2013

On Saturday, May 25, 2013 7:33:40 PM ICT, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday, May 25, 2013 17:38:49 Simon Persson wrote:
>> So much for the background, now the problem:
>> I wanted to use the "restore manually saved session" option of
>> ksmserver in
>> order to always start the "Welcome" activity and nothing else. But
>
> Instead of building a serialized startup order between kamd and ksmserver,
> perhaps it makes sense to make kamd aware of these settings and
> Do The Right
> Thing(tm) itself, e.g. be able to set an activity as the one to always start

I would say that the right thing (what I as a user would expect to happen) is that clicking "save session" in the kickoff menu would save which activity is currently active and which other ones are also running so that can be restored at login.
I just had another idea.. perhaps it could be possible to add a dbus-exported "saveYourself()" slot to kamd and have ksmserver call that slot at the same as it calls all the session clients via ICE.

I have also realized that kamd is started by whoever first calls a constructor in libkactivities. That means even if we would move all current consumers of the kamd service (from the core kde releases) to start after ksmserver nothing stops third party kamd-consumers to be added by users.
Therefore my idea above is currently my best suggestion for a fix.

Simon